Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-20-2007
1977 Morgan OI 30

Joesaila is on a distinguished road
Electronic Winterization?

The post on diesel engines is good and reminded me of my electronics winter time situation. What do I do with the chart plotter, auto helm display instruments on the pedestal guard. [they are mounted in a Nav Pod case] Can I simply cover them or do I take them off and store them in my home?

Last edited by Joesaila; 10-20-2007 at 09:01 AM. Reason: more information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2007

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
I remove the radar screen, gps and helm instruments and bring them home. Not sure if 0 degrees will harm them but I don't take the chance. There is always a chance that they might be stolen if left on the boat.

Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 10-20-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Have left them all mounted as is but covered on the boat for 25 years in New England (on various boats). If it's only the weather that concerns you, it's no problem
Old 10-20-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I keep all fixed electronics on the boat, covered by the proprietary plastic display screen panels. CRC spray is applied to all accessible electrical terminals to prevent corrosion. Since the majority of electronics are located in a locked pilothouse, theft isn't a huge issue with me. The aft cockpit helm's engine displays, depth sounder, compass ect., are protected by the winter cover.
Old 10-20-2007

rperret is on a distinguished road
i always remove all electronics, wipe them clean, check connections, and keep them in a warm dry place 'til spring.

you could keep on boat, but they become a target for a thief. also, have to believe that the freeze cycles can't be good for the electronics. if you balance cost of electronics vs. time to remove and take home....

also, the location of your yard should play a role in the decision...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesaila View Post
The post on diesel engines is good and reminded me of my electronics winter time situation. What do I do with the chart plotter, auto helm display instruments on the pedestal guard. [they are mounted in a Nav Pod case] Can I simply cover them or do I take them off and store them in my home?
Old 10-21-2007
maine boat builder in tx.

the1much is on a distinguished road
as long as everything is covered so frost cant get on them it'll be ok..ive stored boats with more electronics in them then 3 tv stations in maine all winter,, as long as you make sure that under NO REASON while its still cold out that you hook up ya batteries and start hitting switch's. even if its been warm for a month,,connect ya batteries,,then walk away for 2 DAYS.it will make sure most all the dampness is out of em.
Old 10-21-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rperret View Post
also, have to believe that the freeze cycles can't be good for the electronics.
Except for LCD screens, probably not an issue. If it was, modern automobiles would be worthless over a goodly portion of the planet .

The LCDs are perhaps another question. I saw one of my fellow club members removing his, citing manufacturer recommendations. I've just done a quick search and found a range of comment/opinion as to at what temperatures LCDs will freeze and whether the damage is permanent. I've seen comments that they won't freeze until -30F to -40F (-34C to -40C), while Raymarine lists storage temperators only as low as 14F (-10C). (But they also list that as the low end operating temperature, so I'm not sure if that means anything.) I've seen comments to the effect that freezing permanently damages them, and other comments that they'll defrost w/o damage.

I don't leave my GPS installed on the boat at all. So that's a non-issue for me. The depth and knot meters... well, I don't plan to remove them at this time. That could change.

Jim
Old 10-21-2007

thekeip is on a distinguished road
Cold temperatures won't have any effect on stored electronic equipment...condensation, however, will. If you cover your pedestal mounted displays with plastic bags or such, and notice droplets of water forming on the inside of the plastic after the sun has warmed it, try something else.
Cold is ok, moisture is not.
Howard Keiper
Sea Quest
Berkeley.
Old 10-22-2007

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Although I have removed my new GPS chartplotter screen (mounted at the Nav station) for the winter, it's more for peace of mind than actual need, I think. We have LCD displays mounted on the cockpit bulkhead and only cover them - no issues to date and the boat has been in Seward, Alaska for going on twenty years now...
Old 10-24-2007

StephenOrd is on a distinguished road
My question to Raymarine -
Can I leave my E80 on the boat and protected from the weather with a full boat cover and a canvas cover over the pedestal? The temperature here in Ontario can get to -30'C

Answer -
Raymarine electronics may be stored onboard the vessel during the winter months. It is recommended that the display's suncover be installed prior to covering the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.