This is probably part three by now, but this is the gist!
1973 Volvo-Penta MD6A (like Gummy's). Inboard diesel, 10hp, 2 cyl.
Turned key about three weeks ago an just got chatter from the voltage regulator,relay.
1. Charged batteries....."chatter"
2. Cleaned connections as best as I could..."chatter"
3. Replaced old regulator/relay with new"used" original bosch regulator/relay...."chatter"
4. Tried jumping the starter directly with jumper cables...."sparked and motor never turned a revolution"!
5. removed starter and had it bench tested.....ran like a charm once it was grounded. ???
Now what? Could it be a grounding issue? Could it go back to the ignition key? How exactly do I check for a bad ground and typically, what does one do to correct this?
Thanks for all your suggestions and know-how!
PS-just finished this little painting for my avitar...what do you think???