Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-22-2007

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
What to do with old gear: lines, charts, and EPIRB

I've been on my boat for a year now and I kept myself from throwing anything away until I really knew what it was and if I needed it. The time has come when I am sure that I don't want or need 15 year old charts, both electronic and paper, the old 121 MHz EPRIB, and all kinds of old lines including my halyards I recently replaced.

I hate to pitch this stuff, but don't know what else to do with it. Any suggestions? Is it really into the dumpster for this once expensive gear?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-22-2007

NOLAsailing is on a distinguished road
Everything has a service life, regardless of the original cost. I believe the EPIRB is worthless (you can't use that freq.), the charts certainly are, and the halyards may or may not be. Get it off the boat or out of the garage. If your YC has a boat garage sale to support a junior program or a similar place for used gear, consider donating it there. Otherwise it's just wasting space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-22-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Or look for some outfit like the Sea Scouts for what they might be interested in? I have the same issue I want to address this winter, and I am thinking about the Sea Scouts.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 10-22-2007

thedudeistoocool is on a distinguished road
Find someone who scrapbooks and give them the used charts
They may be able to incorporate them as background material

Or just use them for some nautical decoration around the home
cut them into nice sizes and frame them - then sell them on e-bay

Remember one mans junk is another mans treasure
Old 10-22-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Sailor Mitch...if you have trouble contacting the SeaScouts...try Bodkin Marina (Not Bodkin Yacht Club) , Charlie is the owner. There were two boats kept there used by the Scouts.

BTW...great idea...I have some stuff they may want, let me know if you find anything more out about them.
Old 10-22-2007

WinterRiver is on a distinguished road
Check with a local teacher to see if they'd like the charts. In our area (MA)they do a big mapping unit in 5th grade. They might like some real charts to get kids interested.

Another idea for anything that you think might be useful to someone is Freecycle.org. "The Freecycle Network™ is made up of 4,144 groups with 3,992,000 members across the globe. It's a grassroots and entirely nonprofit movement of people who are giving (& getting) stuff for free in their own towns. It's all about reuse and keeping good stuff out of landfills. Each local group is moderated by a local volunteer (them's good people). Membership is free." People offer and take an amazing variety of stuff.

I'm sure there's someone who would appreciate your old lines, if only to use as clothesline that won't sag. Make it clear in your posting that the charts are not current and should not be used for navigation. Someone might want to wallpaper a kid's room with them.
Old 10-22-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Make a rope mat out of the lines, you're just going to wipe your feet on it anyway. Or make rope fenders.
Old 10-22-2007
twcook

Several people have mentioned Sea Scouts - please do consider that. While we probably can't use the EPIRB, old paper charts are still useful for teaching piloting, and due to our limited budget we can always find a way to use old lines. If you aren't sure if there are Sea Scout ships near you, visit seascout.org and follow the link for "ships" (remember that Sea Scout units are called "ships", like Boy Scout units are called troops). For any of you, if that doesn't work to find a local Sea Scout ship, and you have something interesting to donate, contact me via private message and I'll see if I can figure out who to talk to in your part of the world.
Old 10-22-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Try ebay or craigslist. You'd be surprised what people pay for these days online.

Or, I'll take the lines/halyards off your hands.

Old 10-22-2007

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
These are great ideas folks. I didn't even know the sea scouts existed. I did a quick google search and there are 19 "ships" within 45 miles of my marina. I thought about dropping this stuff off at the local resell shop, but I could probably take a tax deduction on the donation that is almost as much as what any of it would sell for.

Capnhand, talk to me about those rope fenders. I've got a few marlin spike sailors around me who've made some good looking mats out of old lines, but I've never seen a woven fender. Sounds like a place I can put my new fids to use other than eye splices.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.