Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-23-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Solar screen fabrics have been used in architectural applications such as sunspaces and greenhouses for decades CD. It's produced by lots of fabric mills and has also been very popular for use over the exterior glazed openings of southern latitude boats as well.

We decided upon Sunbrella's colorfast, tight woven fabric for our sun awning specifically to keep rain off us as well as sun. That property of course, is absent with an open mesh material.
Old 10-23-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
CruisingDad,

My sister uses that material on their boat for "side-curtains" on their bimini. they are great for taking the edge off the late-afternoon sun, and they still let the air breath a bit while allowing a good view too. I would recommend that material for this application.

However, I don't think I'd make an overhead awning out of it. For that purpose, I'd go with a standard sunbrella awning fabric, avoiding a dark color. I think the screen/mesh material works best with low-angle sun, maybe not so well with direct overhead sunlight. If I was going to go to the trouble of setting up an awing, I'd want it to provide REAL shade, not merely partially filtered sunlight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2007

tigerregis has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Two of my dockmates have sidecurtains made of that mesh and swear by it. The latest user told me his internal temp dropped by 10 degrees.
Old 10-23-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
The only issues I see with Sunbrella is the weight and size of an awning that would our boat. Though it would not span the whole 40', it would cover a lot of it. I also was optimistic that the screen/mesh would allow the heat trapped underneath to get out.

Might be an interesting experiment?

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 11-07-2007

hoganc is on a distinguished road
Talking pvc INSERTS for Awning

I bought an awning on Ebay for my Hunter 260. It is suspended from the main halyard and fully wraps the mast going about 4 feet toward bow. There are pockets for 1" PVC on the ends and in the middle where the halyard attach point occurs. Looks like the bow end and middle take 4 foot 6 inch PVC pipes but the rear pocket (stern end) goes thru from one side to the other. Question is??? Should I put an 8 foot pipe thru that or just put two of the 4 footers. Not sure what the brand is and have not seen one on the internet yet today. I have seen in the past.

Can someone help or send a picture?
Thanks,
hogan
Old 11-07-2007
Senior Moment

Slooptattoo is on a distinguished road
I have had and still use Shade Tree awnings for my 45' Coronado. I have found them to be easy to set up and take down with two people. They are designed to "dump" any winds over 30-35 knots and we've found that to be the case. Any squalls that have come up while at anchor I've had only minor, easily repaired damage to the straps around the mast or backstay. If we have forecasted bad weather, gale force or greater, we take them down. I don't remove the wands, but move them forward and gather the awning in a bunch and take it below to remove the wands out of the weather. I have used Shade Tree for liveaboard and extensive cruising, throughout the east coast, Bahamas and the Carribean. It may be just a matter of personal opinion or preference, but I find the awnings to be superior to any I have had occasion to use or see set up. The mesh fabric mentioned earlier in this thread, I have used and found to be great for larger hatch or window covers, but found them to be heavy. They are virtually indestructable but are mostly used on motor yachts, the don't allow much wind passage but do work very well, they tend to act more as a sail at anchor, but allow visability through them. Hope you do find what works for you. This is just IMHO but I do feel Shade Tree is a good product and I would buy them again.

"There is nothing- absolutely nothing-
half so much worth doing
as simply messing about in boats."
The Wind in the Willows
Old 11-07-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Jysus...tents on boats...what next......BBQ's????

You guys ever sail?
Old 03-14-2012

Bejasus is on a distinguished road
Re: Shade Tree Awnings, a poor review

we have had our Shade Tree for around 6 years now, and we are still very happy with it. It is a light grey version and is very effective at heat reflection, dropping the salon temperature around 20 degrees in +100 degree heat. Only recently I broke one of the 'tent' style poles and will order a replacement. It has withstood squalls of +40 knots and the only issue has been the stitching on the pole pockets, probably to do with UV degradation as much as anything else.
This was after 5 years of summer long use. We restitched them and they are just fine.

George
Old 03-14-2012

remetau is on a distinguished road
Re: Shade Tree Awnings, a poor review

We have also had our Shade Tree awning for about 5 years and are very happy with it. Once you get the straps set to where they should be put up time and take down time is about 10 minutes or less with two people.

We replaced our straps with some extra seatbelt material we had sitting around.
We also had to make some repairs, but this is due to us using the the shade at a dock and takes more side winds than is normal.

We are happy with the product and would most likely but it again if needed.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.