SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Ancor Terminals: the must haves (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/37914-ancor-terminals-must-haves.html)

geary126 10-23-2007 04:29 PM

Ancor Terminals: the must haves

So, I'm going to rewire my DC panel (and maybe run some new wires) on my Catalina 30, and I thought I should put together a terminal / connector kit (rather than make 40 trips to West Marine).

I know it's hard to generalize, but what are the must haves, in terms of terminals....the 20% of the connectors that one uses, 80% of the time.

I found a 600 piece kit on Amazon, but again, why pay for connectors you're never going to use?

Would love to hear from those of you who have been down this road before.

thanks,

tom

AjariBonten 10-23-2007 04:40 PM

Hooked spades, for each gauge of wire, are ok; but whenever possible I recommend ring terminals. In order for them to come off the entire screw has to come out of the connection, something you will like be alerted to through intermittent electrical problems long before it becomes completely disconnected.

Some heat shrink tape or tubes is also a must have, to cover any butt-crimps you need to do.

Oh, and spend the money for a good quality stripper/crimper; don't cheap out and buy a dollar store one, spend the extra 5 or 6 $ and get a good one, you'll be glad you did.

Fred

geary126 10-23-2007 04:50 PM

Thanks, Fred.

On the butt connectors, should I get the thru-pipe kind, AS WELL AS the closed on one side, kind? Also, how about the step-up or step down connector?

Also, how many gauges should one get?

On the ring terminals, it seems like they have a zillion eyelet sizes.

eherlihy 10-23-2007 05:28 PM

Along the same line of thought, what is a good price to pay for, and where is a good place to find, a quality racheting crimper? I have seen ratcheting crimpers from Paladin for ~$40, but they require that you buy a die for an additional $20. Sixty bucks is more than I want to spend on a crimper.

geary126 10-23-2007 05:33 PM

Don Casey, who is in my eyes, the god of all boat know-how, says that racheting is better, but typically, impractical away from the workbench. (e.g., upside down in the crawlspace)

dougyoung 10-23-2007 05:34 PM

I bought all my terminals at Harbor Freight. You can also get the stripper and crimper there as well.

Order the shirnk wrap from Tiewraps.com . Be sure to get the kind with the adhesive.

Use vaseline for dieletric goop.

It's all much cheaper this way. Some will argue the quailty. Fro me it has worked great.

sailingdog 10-23-2007 06:59 PM

Definitely want the adhesive lined heatshrink tubing.

Avoid spade terminals... you really need ring terminals and butt splices.

The spade connectors are pretty useful, especially if the female ones are insulated properly. I use these for making up polarized connections for electronics that I can remove.

I'd second Harbor Freight.

geary126 10-23-2007 07:13 PM

Hey, guys, do you use the general terminals (e.g., not Ancor brand), or the generics? I can't find the Ancor brand at Harbor Freight.

thanks for info.

PBzeer 10-23-2007 07:15 PM

On my boat, I use #10 14-16ga (blue) ring terminals the most. Also the 1/4 and 3/8's ring. Anything larger than 10ga wire, you most likely will need a rather larger crimper. Home Depot (if your local store has a marine wire section) has great prices on Ancor products.

timebandit 10-23-2007 07:17 PM

Blues and Reds are the one I use most.
Rings that will go around a 1/4 inch bolt and ones that will go around a # 10 screw seem to fill 90 percent of my needs.
Boats-cars-motorcycles