Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-23-2007
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Winterizing non-pressurized freshwater tanks

I'm in the Baltimore, MD area and have a '75 Newport 28 with a freshwater tank that is not pressurized. The faucets and toilet have a pump handle on them to draw water from the tank. The faucet in the galley is broken, and doesn't draw water any more, though the water is right there in the line just below the faucet. The faucet and toilet in the head are OK.

In my case, would it be better to just disconnect the lines from the faucets and the toilet, and use a shop-vac to blow the water completely out of the system and drain it out via the bilge pump? Then I could leave the system completely empty for the winter, and shock it with bleach and refill in the spring.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd disconnect the top of the kitchen sink hose, and leave it tied up... the water will drain back down into the tank. Drain the tank as much as possible. Then, I would winterize the tank with non-toxic (pink) antifreeze... and pump it through to the head and head sink. Don't forget to pump out the holding tank and put some anti-freeze in the holding tank too. If you have a pump out system for the holding tank... you should pump some antifreeze through that too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-23-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Why does your head draw water from the drinking tank ? Isn't that a health hazard ??
Old 10-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Good point... marine heads should never be plumbed directly to the freshwater system...regardless of whether they're pressurized or not. My head draws water from the head sink, via a diverter valve in the sink drain line. Makes winterizing the head pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann View Post
Why does your head draw water from the drinking tank ? Isn't that a health hazard ??

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-24-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
I would just pump it dry, or near so. As long as there is room for expansion, freezing should not trouble the tank.
Old 10-24-2007
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Good point... marine heads should never be plumbed directly to the freshwater system...regardless of whether they're pressurized or not. My head draws water from the head sink, via a diverter valve in the sink drain line. Makes winterizing the head pretty simple.
I'll have to recheck that connection, then. Maybe it pumps raw water in via a seacock to fill the head. I know there's no other water tank in the boat.
Old 10-24-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockter View Post
I would just pump it dry, or near so. As long as there is room for expansion, freezing should not trouble the tank.
After executing this process for the head, I plan to pump out, throw some fresh water in and pump out again, fill the toilet with redpop, pump most of it through, and call it done. Alternatively: I may pump all the redpop through and remove the pump for rebuilding over the winter.

The water tank was never used by the PO, nor by us. I plan to leave it as it is.

Jim