Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-24-2007

bils is on a distinguished road
new mainsail system

I am getting ready to purchase a new main. In the process many suggestions have come my way for a new handling system. I am looking into either a Dutchman's rig or lazy jacks.
Also any thoughts on smaller sailmaking companies like JSI or Mack
The main will be a full batten main.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2007
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
I installed a Jiffy Jax system on my 1980 Pearson P32. It works very well, but you have to understand that it cannot support the weight of the boom+sail. The boom has to be supported either with a topping lift or a solid boom vang (boom kicker) before deploying the Jiffy Jax.
Old 10-24-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
We have the Dutchman. It works reasonably well but I don't think I'd use it again if we get a new mainsail. The heavy monofilament line that threads through the sail gets brittle with UV exposure and breaks too often for my preference. It's a nuisance to re-string it. On the other hand, if you could come up with a substitute line in lieu of the monofilament, it might be less problematic.

But I also find that we have to ease the topping lift more than usual in order to slacken the monofilament lines enough not to interfere with the shape of the mainsail. So the topping lift tends to flap around pretty wildly, which I also find annoying.
Old 10-24-2007

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
I've lived with lazy jacks and the Dutchman. JRP is spot on regarding the mono getting brittle. The lazy jacks worked but would get hung up on the full battens every once in a while. We saved up for 4 years and got Leisurefurl - full batten main and low center of gravity. Once we marked off the proper vang setting (trial and error and more error) it's been terrific and worth the wait (and expense.)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 10-24-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
[quote=jimmalkin;211317The lazy jacks worked but would get hung up on the full battens every once in a while.[/quote]

EZ Jax http://www.ezjax.com are a good solution for the problem of the battens getting caught on the line. The EZ Jax retracts when not in use (after you have dropped and tied up the sail, you can stow them along the boom) and can be done from the cockpit if installed so. I did not opt for the cockpit deployment option...to much stuff on the boom for it to get hung up on.

My Aunt & Uncle had the Dutchman and liked it very much, all I can comment on that.

IMO the stack pack systems look like utter shitttt, but probably work very nicely, I believe the preferred system for charter.

The boom furlers would be my first choice...but for $3000 + a new sail isn't gonna happen anytime soon on my boat!

Last edited by T37Chef; 10-24-2007 at 07:52 PM.
Old 10-24-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Dutchman lines can be a maintenance issue, particularly if they are too tight to allow mainsail shape. I find it pretty simple to loosen the backstay a bit when sailing which cures this problem and it's also pretty easy to replace the monofiliment lines when the sail goes to the loft every year or two for cleaning. Once they are properly adjusted, they work incredibly well at flaking the sail and look much less objectionable than a lazy jack system IMO.

When I priced a boom furler at the boat show last month, it was $16,000 plus another $5,000 for a new main!
Old 10-24-2007

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
When I priced a boom furler at the boat show last month, it was $16,000 plus another $5,000 for a new main!

WHAT!!!!! Is this what they cost...I never really looked at them seriouly...just drooling at them.
Old 10-24-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Yes, in boom furlers aren't cheap. I went with the Doyle Stackpack for a new main. Of course it helps that the Doyle people installed all the hardware and the sail. For me, it was a one stop solution. I needed a new main, I wanted lazy jacks, and I couldn't afford boom furling. It has worked well for me.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

Old 10-24-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
WHAT!!!!! Is this what they cost...I never really looked at them seriouly...just drooling at them.
That is what the LeisureFurl boom saleman quoted for the boom - I'm estimating the mainsail cost.
Old 10-24-2007

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Schaefer boom furl would be my choice, but again it's ~20k with sail. You also would need/want an electric winch because of the extra load in hoisting them.

Looked at a boat recently with a dutchman which was lowered to the boom when stowing, solving the UV problem. Seemed like a good solution.

Lazy bags look like #$%###, Doyle stack pack look better.

Lazy jacks seem simple.