Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
Hey, guys.

I'm all for bitching, as a creative in advertising, I actually get paid for it, but I'd love to see if we could convert this energy from potential (e.g., bitching) to kinetic (e.g., affecting change).

For example: since this doesn't conflict with the sailnet store, could we create a permanent thread, with EDITED links---all meat, no potatoes--with sources for engine parts, information on each engine's ancestry, whatever?

Second, how about (and this is more ambitious), finding a terrific marine mechanic who wants a slew more business, and is willing to break with tradition (e.g., screwing us with these usurious parts' charges).

Third, how about figuring out a way to pressure the industry, or at least, continue the Norma Rae movement further? I've got a letter to the editor of Practical Sailor in the works. Any other ideas?

[btw, I might have the right mechanic. This guy in Alameda (where I live) is great. He might play ball]

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
I had similar thoughts, and the only apprehension I've had is the work involved. My little contribution took hours of research, and while I know of at least two gents that have already saved lots of money because of this, the W30 is probably a little obscure as it was discontinued in 1980.

Having some folks dig up info on engines past and present for the models out there is an enormous task, and it is better to have folks research their own engine and publish the results here as they come up. An open sticky would help, or a downloadable database.

One could write a guide book on this although it would never pay them enough for the research hours invested.

Pressuring industry? I wonder if there's too much $$$ out there and most people willing to pay the going rate. I post on the CS forum, and I appear to be the first guy who's bothered to research alternative parts sources for the CS 36T. Other folks have thrown $20-$30,000 at repowering so it seems to not concern many people. In fact, no one has even responded online to all my alternative parts posts!

And a for alternative mechanics,any none-marine mechanic can fix your diesel cheaper, but you might have to tell him what block you have so he doesn't buy parts from the distributor instead of the manufacturer.

Even better, I think people should learn to do it themselves. If you can maintain your own boat, you can repair most things on your diesel.
Old 10-30-2007

hertfordnc is on a distinguished road
Hoffa,

I think there are plenty of people who have to consider the cost of things on their boats. I think we are reluctant to admit we can't afford something. THere is perhaps a culture (there's that word again) that pressures us into thinking we are not good sailors or we are not safe or not good stewards of our boats if we have can't afford what the marina is selling at the price the marina wants to charge.

The reality is that everything has a spec sheet and that spec sheet determines if a thing is suitable for the marine envirnment. This is not hte only place that's hard on machines.

I knew all along that lots of things are made for other harsh envirnments but for more frugal buyers. I figured there was already a web site or a list that provided marine compatible products for lower prices.

Hose is a particularly good example, it's rated for a specific temperture and pressure. Really doesn't matter much where you use it. I believe the engine compartment on my boat is a much drier place than under the hood of my car.

So, is there a list? A book? COuld we make one?

I don't know enough myself but I'll find out real quick once I start working on my boat.

I do know enough to set up a web site that could build a list.

Any interest? ANy more good examples?
Old 10-30-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I have at least 50 links to sailing stuff, "alternative" sourcing of items and general BS that I just can't seem to part with... here are but a few

http://www.geocities.com/atomfour/A4Parts.txt
http://www.alberg30.org/maintenance/...4/A4parts.html
http://www.lbifiberglass.com/lbiprod...l#anchor534030
http://www.usedsails.com/
www.cajuntrading.ca
http://www.postmarine.com/
http://www.sailingsource.com/
http://www.scubasteve.biz/store/marineelectronics.htm
http://www.poliglowproducts.com/index2.phtml
http://www.deepblueyachtsupply.com/
http://stores.ebay.com/Spit-in-the-O...QQftidZ2QQtZkm
for all you catalina 27 owners, heres a special one...
http://www.catalina27.org/public_pages/c27partscat.htm

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 10-31-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordnc View Post
Hoffa,

I think there are plenty of people who have to consider the cost of things on their boats. I think we are reluctant to admit we can't afford something. THere is perhaps a culture (there's that word again) that pressures us into thinking we are not good sailors or we are not safe or not good stewards of our boats if we have can't afford what the marina is selling at the price the marina wants to charge.

Any interest? ANy more good examples?
Around 1500 people have read this thread and look at the lack of helpful response so far. And there's the problem. I don't understand it, but that's why I wouldn't bust my nuts spending huge amounts of time amassing info or researching it; the interest just isn't there. Or maybe it's just easier to pop down to the local chandlers and pay the going rate.

For the high prices we pay we only have ourselves to blame.
Old 10-31-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Great thread, and great ideas. I spend a lot of my time in my business trying to bypass going to the dealer for our equipment. Same situation, the mark ups are obscene, and quite often the same parts are available elsewhere at a fraction of the cost. Found some bearings for $3.50 ea., the dealer wanted $200 ea. It's worth the time to do the research and find alternative sources. In my crab boat I have a 41P Volvo, the circ. pump is $450, air cleaner is over $40, raw water pump $280, and on and on. Unfortunately, I have been stumped trying to find alternatives for Volvo. Anyone have any leads on discounts for Volvo? I just bought a boat with the MD 31a also, guess I'm a glutton for punishment. I would gladly contribute information to a database on Sailnet as I find it. You guys already have a good start for info. on Westerbeke, could there be a section set up as suggested? John

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse

Old 10-31-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
Okay. Here's a suggestion. Why don't we create separate threads for each of the major engines in use, today?

Replacement parts and Notes for Universal [Kubuto (sp)....

Replacement parts and Notes for Yanmar....

[insert 2 other engines, here, or whatver]

the deal is, it the areas have to be policed. So it's all facts, no opinions. None of my typical BS, in other words

One thread per. Thoughts?
Old 10-31-2007

The problem is when you are dealing with engine manufacturers (ie Volvo). You can't cross reference the engine to anything else. It's a Vulva and that's it. But if the model is old enough, it is possible that a generic diesel repair shop/parts supplier will be able to reference jobber parts for it at much lower cost. Someone will have to take a trip into the boonies and ask about their engine, and then post here.
BTW, who's in charge here? Who has the god-like authority to start a sticky?
Old 10-31-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Around 1500 people have read this thread and look at the lack of helpful response so far. And there's the problem. I don't understand it, but that's why I wouldn't bust my nuts spending huge amounts of time amassing info or researching it; the interest just isn't there. Or maybe it's just easier to pop down to the local chandlers and pay the going rate.

For the high prices we pay we only have ourselves to blame.
I don't think anyone is willing to commit the time required to do a good job on setting up and maintaining an info website. I want to spend my free hours doing other things.

As far as the cost of things go...I don't buy much at retail unless I am in a serious rush for it. There are ways of getting things at a reasonable price. I was under the impression that most people were already doing so, one of the things learned in the first couple of years of boat ownership.
Old 11-09-2007
CosmosMariner

CosmosMariner is on a distinguished road
hoffa... Don't get discouraged by the numbers. I learned a long time ago that when someone else is making your point in a conversation don't interrupt them. It may take some time for some of those 1500 to actually start looking for thier particular needs but when they find one of these good leads they will probably add it to this thread.

I used to work at The Evil Empire and now I buy nothing there unless I must have it NOW and there is no other store nearby. Even JC Whitney catalog has a lot of little things that can be used on boats like alternators. Most alternators' windings are coated these days because of high humidity environments that cars operate in every day.