Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
We're getting hosed

So what else is new? Of course it's a running joke among boat owners-the inflated cost for items to maintain and repair our boats. While we might get a sense that the retails/manufacturers are giving us the big willy, we also know that the materials have to be top notch, the environment they have to perform in is unforgiving, and production numbers are low, all of which drives up prices. I have no argument about this; it's the reality of boat ownership.
And then something comes along that shows some boys out there are screwing their customers, and yet we all lap it up with a smile.
I wonder why more hell isn't being raised? Maybe we're all rich or something.

But here's one example. The auxiliary in my CS36T is a 1980 Westerbeke diesel. ALthough I SHOULD say it's a British Leyland 1.5 litre tractor diesel marinized by Westerbeke. I've done some digging, and am surprised at the non-westerbeke parts I've been able to find.

Remember, the only parts that are westerbeke on this engine are the heat exchangers and manifold.

Complete top end gasket set for the BL 1.5 is $60.00 which includes shipping from the UK. I've been told that Westerbeke wants more than $300.00 for the head gasket alone. BL fresh water pump, $80.00. Westerbeke >$700.00. I just bought a set of four OEM pistons complete with rings for $150.00. I can only imagine what westerbeke would charge.
One guy priced out full rebuild parts at >$6,000.00 from Westerbeke. I'm sure I could get all the BL parts under $500.00.

The parts are all OEM, yet Westerbeke charges up to 10X the "normal" retail price for the same part. Why? because it's a "boat part". Because we will pay it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2007
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Well, it is a pretty red color. That is worth something.

- CD

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 10-25-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Which is why, when my boat got completely stripped out and I thought, might as well have the Yanmar facelifted while it is out....I loaded it onto a trailer and took it over to our local friendly diesel mechanic and not a marine place. He set it up on a bench and ran cooling hoses to it. did a full bench rebuild...$450, thank you very much!

Quote from the yacht mechanics was around $3500, plus extras, and they would probably not be able to even look at it for two months because they were busy.

Think of it as a tax levied on the foolish and those lacking initiative and cunning.

Sasha
Old 10-25-2007

geary126 is on a distinguished road
Yes. This is bullsh_t. I'm officially POed. Why can't we find an importer,some diesel place in the US., who can / will import stuff without screwing us all (and keep 20% as a markup, something fair, as a tip?
Old 10-25-2007

RickLaPaz is on a distinguished road
We have the "Westerbeke" 12.5 generator, circa 1985. 5,800 hrs on it and still runs perfect. When we got the boat 4 years ago I tore off all the cooling parts, hoses, manifold, intercooler, thermostat housing blah blah. I got my first shock/clue on the costs of parts when I priced just the thermostat and a couple of molded water hoses. And it got a lot worst as it went. I researched on the Inter-Gore and then ordered stuff from Coast Auto---saved me big bucks. I did all of the labor myself which was actually enjoyable, plus it gave me a chance to figure her out. The best part was when she was put all back together with her shiny new coat of Rustoleum Crimson Red.

Bellisima!..............
Old 10-25-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Agreed.

Old 10-25-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Marine silicone = $12-17.00 home center, same stuff = $3-5.00
5200 at Marine store about $17.00 Home Depot actually sells it about 7.00 I think, last yr I got some.

speaking of hose??? Ever compare "Marine" rubber hose to automotive?

Am I the only person that has noticed "other" sources for stainless bolts, screws etc. seem to be stronger than those from marine stores? Last yr I needed a new strainer for the head.. the $25.00 one is not in stock. but the Big Bronze one was. almost $200.00 box coverd in dust LOL special order again LOL Oh.. the big mystery on how bronze stuff is becoming "special order"? Bronze = gold

Did anyone bend over and pick up the soap by the door of the Marine store? LOL. (I didn't say that... blush)

My boat is for sale.
Old 10-25-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Here's an example. I was thinking of getting a new starter for my Universal 5411 engine. The Universal 5411 is a marinized Kubota Z500.

Universal Starter $1,143.69 (Torresen Marine)
API Aftermarket Starter $261.80 (Torresen Marine)
Kubota Starter $99.95

Last edited by CapnHand; 10-25-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2007

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
This is even worse than aviation markups - one reason I ensured my racing glider is "experimental" - I can use normal parts and also do some work myself instead of hiring an A&E and paying outrageous prices for 'certified' hardware.

Old 10-25-2007

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
Or something small and simple...

316 stainless bolts about 30% of DISCOUNT marine store price when bought at my local fastener supply place (bigger range too)

Monel pop rivets. DISCOUNT marine store charges $5.80 for bag of 6 or 8...Local fastener place charges $43 per 1000...but you can buy just one or two of them if you want.

low-loss plated antenna cable. 14 meters at chandlery $75....At Radio Parts $17.50 (Same product, same brand, same part number)