Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-25-2007

marcusn is on a distinguished road
Winter cover up

In the coming weeks, I'll be wrapping up my baby.
She's new to me this summer, so I've got a question.

She's on 7 stands, a 27' boat. I plan on making a PVC frame, and cover her with tarps.

Question:
How would you tie the tarps down?
a) to stanchions
b) to the jack stands
c) wrap lines under the hull
d) wighted milk jugs

also
Bungees or line?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Mine is tied down with lines to the frame of my cradle. Seems like your jack stands aren't fixed to a frame. In that case I would wrap lines under the hull.
Old 10-25-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Bad idea to tie to the stands; either wrap under hull or use jugs but doing the latter with water in them is also a bad idea for obvious reasons.
Old 10-25-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Seems you would want to tie under the hull, however be sure to your frame support your cover and that your stanchions don't or a good snowfall may bend or break something.

(PS - I assume your boat is not painted, as you would not want to cover the hull of a painted boat...)
Old 10-25-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
Not to the stands.

Every yard that I know of explicity states nothing gets tied to the jack stands.

Water in the jug is also a bad idea. Water freezes, expands, cracks jug, thaws, drains out, then is useless. Use sand or mortar if you want to fill with something heavy.

Most folks that I know either tied under hull or cover deck only and tie to stanchions

DrB
Old 10-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Don't ever tie the lines to the jack stands... the wind can cause enough of a strain to pull the jack stands out of alignment and the boat can tip over in that case.

Either tie it under the hull per USCGret's suggestion of use bottles fill half-way with water. This way the water won't burst the jug, and drain out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Another weighted solution, albeit somewhat more expensive than milk jugs, would be a variation on what I used to use on my inverted-V and long-wire antennas. They were anchored to trees--the inverted-V at its apex and the long-wire at each end. The problem was how to keep the antennas reasonably tight yet allow the trees to move. Solution: A pulley (a block, to you sailors ) and a bucket with holes drilled in the bottom for water drainage, filled with the desired amount of rock for weight. The line on for the inverted-V was tied to the apex and ran around the pulley above. The line for the long-wire was simply fastened to one end, with the pulley secured to the tree. Worked like a champ.

I plan to run line through the tarp, under the boat, from side-to-side, as USCGRET1990 suggests.

Jim
Old 10-26-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Winter winds and esp Nor Easters have tremendous strength and can launched tarps with weights into the next county. If any part of the tied down tarp luffs in the wind, tie something accross it, or it will soon shred into a big hole.
Old 10-26-2007

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
No one ties off to the toe rail? I cover my hatch and cockpit with a tarp bungied to the toe rails...makes geting in and out during the winter kind of a pain but it keeps the hatch clear of snow and stands up to the williwaws.
Old 10-26-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
I don't know where you are but my only suggestion would be to make the frame twice as strong as you think you need. Prepare for a foot of the wettest heaviest snow you can imagine. I didn't one year and along with half the marina had a partial to total failure of my framework and had to do way too many multi-hundred pound squats under the tarp to get the tons of snow off..... and then repair the frame. Any little sag is a problem waiting for a sticky snow storm. I think that also makes it obvious - forget the bungis.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI