Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-25-2007

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
Updating an Older Boat

My soon to be father-in-law has a Pearson Invicta that he keeps quite regularly upgrading, but never seems to update. For example, all the winches have been replaced with nice new two speed self tailers, the autohelm has been replaced, it has new electrical systems, new auxiliary, new GPS, new instrumentation, but essentially the same rigging as when he got it in 1972.

So my question is, what could be done to make the boat a better cruiser? I know this is very vague, but I am mostly thinking about its rigging.

My soon to be father-in-law has moved on to an obsession with sport class float planes, so he has graciously allowed me to live aboard next summer and generally act like the lazy bum I am until I get dragged to the alter (no I'm not in it _just_ for the boat). But in return I'd like to do a bit of updating but not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2007

DrB will become famous soon enough
If it ain't broke.....

If the rigging is bad, replace it and be done with it. If not, don't spend the dough. If anything re: rigging, see if the main halyard leads back to the cockpit. If not, that would be a welcome addition for single-handing. Other, does it have a roller furler, if not, another handy item for cruising, single handing.

I don't know what you mean about update versus upgrade. From your description your soon-to-be father-in-law has done a good job of keeping the boat equipped with the latest stuff. ST winches, Autohelm, new electrical, etc.

DrB
Old 10-25-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Sails are a good place to start...How about a nice furling unit, otherwise standing rigging really doesn't get updated, and usually not replaced, until something fails or a surveyor/rigger recommends replacement. There is a school of opinion that says standing rigging should be replaced every 10/15/20 or whatever years, but you see very few people willing to pay the price of admission. Running rigging can be replaced whenever wear is apparent to the eye or hand, new sheets are always pleasing to both.
Old 10-25-2007

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
All the lines on-board are in excellent condition, like I said, he upgrades, i.e. gets newer, better versions of the same thing, a lot, but doesn't ever change things. So, though everything is nice and new, it is still running on essentially the same rig it was in 1962 when it was built. I guess what I am asking is, would it be worth it to rig up a mizzen staysail? or change out the symetric chute for a double lined assym? or running backstays? a solid vang?

Basically I'm looking for ideas on ways to modernize, something to think about while shoveling 6' of snow off my car this winter
Old 10-25-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... aside from upgrading to a roller furling headsail, there really isn't much you can do to upgrade the rigging on the boat. If the rigging is in good shape... don't mess with it. Leading the lines aft can make single-handing the boat easier, but isn't necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rennisaint View Post
...it is still running on essentially the same rig it was in 1962 when it was built.
You have to give Pearson's designers a bit of credit for knowing what they were doing.

Quote:
I guess what I am asking is, would it be worth it to rig up a mizzen staysail? or change out the symetric chute for a double lined assym? or running backstays? a solid vang?
I dunno about the other stuff, but a solid vang might be useful. (It at least does-away with the need for a topping lift.) A backstay tensioner might come in handy if you're racing the boat. A windward mainsheet traveler is nice--even if you're not racing. A jib fairlead traveler with blocks and a clear for positioning, rather than a pin, might be useful if you're racing. If you're cruising: A roller-furling headsail is nice. If you're racing: A Tuff Luff system is advantageous.

Quote:
Basically I'm looking for ideas on ways to modernize, something to think about while shoveling 6' of snow off my car this winter
Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is pointless, IMHO.

Jim
Old 10-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMIJim View Post
You have to give Pearson's designers a bit of credit for knowing what they were doing.
Yup...they made a solid boat back then...

Quote:
I dunno about the other stuff, but a solid vang might be useful. (It at least does-away with the need for a topping lift.) A backstay tensioner might come in handy if you're racing the boat. A windward mainsheet traveler is nice--even if you're not racing. A jib fairlead traveler with blocks and a clear for positioning, rather than a pin, might be useful if you're racing. If you're cruising: A roller-furling headsail is nice. If you're racing: A Tuff Luff system is advantageous.
A backstay tensioner is only really useful if the boat is fractionally rigged IMHO. If it is a masthead rig, then it doesn't do much. Some boats work well with a solid vang, others not so well... don't know the Invicta well enough to say—also, most solid vang manufacturers say the boom should be supported by a topping lift if being left that way for extended periods of time. The traveler and genoa upgrades are a good idea in any case—cruising or racing, as is the roller furler.

Quote:
Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is pointless, IMHO.

Jim
And expensive too.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 10-26-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I would say that if the standing rig is 35 years old you should replace the rigging. That is over double the life that one might expect rigging to last. If you are going to sail her hard...that is the first step...to make sure things don't fall down! I like the idea of a solid vang as an update. New running rigging might be worthwhile as well. Maybe re-arrange the lines...add sheaves and stoppers and run everything to the cockpit.
Old 10-26-2007
maine boat builder in tx.

the1much is on a distinguished road
does you "soon to be father-in-law" have another daughter?
Old 10-26-2007
Telstar 28

He only has the one boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by the1much View Post
does you "soon to be father-in-law" have another daughter?

Telstar 28
New England