Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-26-2007

l0keman is on a distinguished road
bench/bed foam

Where can I get the foam I see in this picture? This picture is from west marine and is selling the cloth dry bunk stuff underneath it.

I am after a thick foam like this that can be cut to size/shape.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
Probably anywhere that makes or reupholsters furniture. But the darn stuff can be real expensive. Be aware, foam is made with variing densities.
Old 10-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You should look for a foam distributor... most major metro areas will have at least one. What you want is a fairly high-density open cell foam. Closed cell foam won't absorb water, but it gets clammy—since it doesn't breathe very well either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2007
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
That looks like closed cell foam. THere are a slew of companies that sell it. Look in almost any sailing or boating magazine to find some vendors. Here is one to get you started http://www.bottomsiders.com/.

You don't say what you need it for, but many of the companies will custom mold it to your needs.

Ed
Old 10-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Some time ago I had designed and built a custom livingroom set for my home. Did everything myself, including the solid maple frame, selecting & cutting various grades of foam wrapped in polyester, a resilient spring system and all fabric cutting, sewing and upholstering - quite the project.

I learned a few things about foam, but basically use a medium, to medium-firm density HR (High Resiliency) foam for seat cushions and a softer grade for back cushions. I actually used a firm core for the seats with a medium-soft layer folded over, then wrapped in polyester batting. All fabric was removable with brass zippers. Purchased the fabric and foam supplies from an upholstery supply distributor/manufacterer in Providence, RI.
Old 10-26-2007
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
memory foam

I am having back problems and just transitioned from a good quality conventional mattress (at home) to a memory foam system (sold by Tempur-Pedic). It has really made a difference in my ability to sleep through the night.

So I was inspired to do something similar for the V-berth cushions. I looked at the "mattress topper" pads marketed by Tempur-Pedic and found the prices to be outrageous. I started looking on the web for memory foam and found that many sources sell pads either 2" or 3" thick in various sizes. A piece large enough for a twin bed is much less than $100 from several sources. (Look for memory foam and then "mattress topper.")

I plan to remove the existing foam and use it as a template to cut the new memory foam (same thickness as the original).

Has anyone done this?
Old 10-26-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
I also have a sometimes re-occuring lower back problem and decided to upgrade our forward stateroom berth. We found an economical source of memory foam in 4" thickness' (actually from one of those Job-lot places). I bought the King size which came with a quilted cover that zipped up into a "bag" to enclose the whole mattress.

I cut the foam to the exact shape of the V-berth with an electric carving knife, cut the cover, resewing on the diagonal to suit and simply keep it in place over the existing upholstered berth mattress shapes. Makes for a very comfortable bed.
Old 10-26-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I went with 5 inch memory foam for the sitting/sleeping cushions.
Old 10-26-2007

Pogo-2 is on a distinguished road
memery foam

I bought the memory foam from Wally-Mart 8" thick queensize for $239, I'm going to keep it on my bed at home for the winter and if I like it like everyone says I will then I'll cut it to fit the V birth on my Newport 30. Since I plan a lot of cruising this summer it should take care of my back problem from sleeping om the 4" regular foam pad. I'll let you all know how it works out this summer.
Old 10-26-2007

dhornsey is on a distinguished road
We also did something similar. Replaced our v-berth cushions with 4 inches of medium density foam, topped with 2 inches of memory foam. Great results. Costco sometimes sells the memory foam toppers at a very reasonable price.

I *highly* recommend using an electric carving knife to cut either memory foam or normal foam. Any other method we tried looked like it was done by a 2 year old.

Good luck.