Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-26-2007
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Best wood-to-wood adhesive

I'm planning to make new companionway door slats next week out of a couple of pieces of marine plywood I have left over from another project. In order to replicate the thickness of the current companionway slats on my sailboat I'm going to need to use adhere the two pieces of marine plywood together. What's the best adhesive for this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-26-2007

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
My choices would be Titebond III waterproof wood glue or perhaps Gorilla Glue. Either should work well.
Old 10-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Epoxy would work pretty well too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2007

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I would also cut some strips of wood, that would look like a planned design but could also be the area where you add brass or stainless screws to aid in holding everything together.
Old 10-26-2007
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Walter the difficult part of laminating plywood onto plywood is getting it all pressed together without voids. You may want to do allot of prep work before you glue it. We used boards across the short width and planed a slight crown on the edges. then we clamped them edge to edge with the plywood in between . The wider it is the more difficult it is.
good luck

my current "project"!
Old 10-26-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Using Gorilla Glue, which expands as it cures, or thickened epoxy would help prevent voids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
Walter the difficult part of laminating plywood onto plywood is getting it all pressed together without voids. You may want to do allot of prep work before you glue it. We used boards across the short width and planed a slight crown on the edges. then we clamped them edge to edge with the plywood in between . The wider it is the more difficult it is.
good luck

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-26-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
I absolutely love West System epoxy for this type of project. Gorilla glue is very good too, but I have had better luck using GG on solid wood projects.

Slightly thickened West is fantastic, and fills any voids.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok

Last edited by AjariBonten; 10-26-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: damnable spellling
Old 10-26-2007
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
I vote epoxy, though with that much surface nearly any glue from TB2 to mastic to earwax would serve. Denise is right -- clamping is the tough part. Cauls help, or a press of some sort. Absolute best method is vacuum-bagging, which can be faked pretty well with some visquene, a ShopVac, and a compressor-driven venturi pump. The glue squeezeout won't stick to the plastic.

If using cauls, wax em or cover them with wax paper, saran, or duct tape. Or you may find your new hatch has a few unintended battens attached!
Old 10-26-2007

waltpm is on a distinguished road
I have laminated three pieces of 1/4 in plywood into a 3/4 in piece using epoxy and it has lasted about 5 years so far and still looks perfect. If the pieces are to big to clamp, (mine were)then make sure that the pieces are flat and weight them on a flat surface. BTW, a recent issue of Fine Woodworking evaluated glues, and Gorilla Glue came out dead last in almost every category including strength.
Old 10-26-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
I have found that Gorilla Glue REALLY expands quite a bit. It's certainly strong but I would think that it's going to be difficult to get an even bond between the two pieces. I would go with epoxy or resorcinol.