Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-27-2007

7Psych is on a distinguished road
Wax..What's Best??

So..What is the best wax for your hull? I've used Collinite, but am wondering if something beytter is out there? Also, what do you use on the Non-Skid deck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 10-27-2007

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
I have read many favorable reviews of Collinite. It has a high content of carnauba wax which is good. I found it difficult to buff out and switched to Meguiars. I use Meguiars non-skid deck cleaner. I used to use Star-Brite non-skid cleaner, but tried the Meguiars and liked it a lot. It's waaaaaay more expensive than the Star-Brite, but you use a lot less of it and I think it works out to even. A recent review in Practical Sailor recommends "Woody Wax" to protect the non skid and it supposedly actually make it grip better. I bought it but, I haven't tried it yet
Old 10-27-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to second the vot for Meguiars...but get it at an auto supply shop, not the marine store... and Woody wax for the non-skid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-27-2007

billangiep is on a distinguished road
Ive had very good results with Collinite Insulator wax # 845. note that it's not a cleaner so make sure the surface is very clean before applying.

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-in...r-wax-845.html

For non skid decks use Pledge..yes furniture polish...spray then work in with a fine hand brush also great for polishing up stainless sinks cleaning isinglass,chart plotter screens ect.
Bill,
Old 10-27-2007

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by billangiep View Post
Ive had very good results with Collinite Insulator wax # 845. note that it's not a cleaner so make sure the surface is very clean before applying.

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-in...r-wax-845.html

For non skid decks use Pledge..yes furniture polish...spray then work in with a fine hand brush also great for polishing up stainless sinks cleaning isinglass,chart plotter screens ect.
Bill,
Bill, did I read you correctly? Use Pledge (for furniture cleaning & waxing) for cleaning SS bowl, persplex glass etc....also I've used Pledge on my saloon sole and it makes it very very slippery. Won't that makes the non-slip deck slippery? Pls elaborate. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2007

trantor, My non skid is very aggressive. The only difference I see is the water beading and the bird poo just basically hosing off. I would not suggest it for a cabin sole for the reasons you stated. We generally do not wear shoes on the boat ...it does feel different ? but not slippery. You can buy six or so cans for the price of a bottle of Woody. Spray..brush then wipe with a terry towel. Also great for port lites and brightens hazy dull hatches. Try a small area and see how you like it?
Bill,
Old 10-27-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
There is a really good thread about this, here is one of the posts on it. I use the Meguiars three step in the tan bottle. Compound/glaze/wax. Buy it at the auto store. For the non-skid I leave out the wax and just use the first two, its not slippery, at least on mine.

Vaya con Dios
Old 10-27-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
I have always been told, by austensibly knowledgable people, that using Pledge on Isenglass was the worst thing you could do to preserve it. I've never tried it on Stratoglass but the self-proclaimed experts have said it might be okay for that, however they universally recommend either Plexus on 101.

Does anyone know definitively?

regarding wax, I think it depends on how, with what and how well it is applied but Collinite is considered among the best if used properly.
Old 10-27-2007

k1vsk, Our canvas man recommended Armada 210 for the Isenglass in our dodger.
What is the difference between Isenglas and Stratoglass? Thanks,
Bill,
Old 10-27-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I've had good results with the Woody wax on deck as well.

We used to Pledge the linoleum floors at the USMMA just to see an unwary officer fall on his keester. I think I'll forgo the experimentation on the boat.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.