Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 10-28-2007

lenhubbard is on a distinguished road
Losing My Gelcoat

I have a 14 year old sailboat built by Carrroll Marine (nopw defunct). It is constructed of epoxy with an outer gelcoat skin. The gelcoat is separating and chunks of the gelcoat up to 10" across have fallen off, althought the hull itself is intact. is there any solution other than removing the gelcoat and fairing and painting the whole thing?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
You could remove the existing gelcoat, prime the epoxy underneath with an epoxy designed to accept gelcoat, and then re-gelcoat. I forget who makes the epoxy in question, but I'll see if I can dig it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 10-28-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
You should consult with your local high-end marine repair shop. I would think they would want to strip all the gelcoat, fair and then paint the hulll with Alwgrip or a similar paint. You'll end up wiht a boat that will look new for many years...however, you'll probably pay $200-300/foot to get there. I doubt that the repair shop will want to consider re-gelcoating the boat, with the wide-acceptance and great results from Awlgrip-type paints, I don't think anyone puts gelcoat back on...
Old 10-28-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
My understanding is that most paints like Awlgrip/Imron get applied over the existing gelcoat (after prepping the surface). This situation sounds different -- the bond between the gelcot and the epoxy laminate seems to have failed. I don't think I'd spend the money to fair and repaint with awlgrip until I had a better understanding of why the gelcoat is peeling off. If you have to completely remove all the gelcoat before painting, I think the per-foot dollar figure mentioned above could be quite a bit higher.
Old 10-28-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Len
Welcome tothe club. This is a common problem, as I guess you are painfully aware, of Caroll Marine boats such as the Mimm36s and some Farrs and others. The good news is the hull below the waterline sounds in tact. Can't tell from your desc if it'sthe topsides or deck which has delaminated but we just finished repairing the ENTIRE deck on my son's Mumm36 for the same reason.
This began what was supposed to be a simple project of stripping the treadmaster and ended up ripping up all the gelcoat with it. He spent last winter removing the remaining gel, fairing and painting the entire deck. The topsides is also showing the same malady but not as severe and will be tacked this winter by patching although only a bandaid approach.

The only practical way to properly do this repair we found was to completely strip the gelcoat and we ended up choosing 2 part Pertfection for the deck. There is no point in trying to re-apply gelcoat.
Email me offline if you want the details or to talk to me son directly.
Old 10-28-2007
maine boat builder in tx.

the1much is on a distinguished road
you definitely have to strip EVERYTHING. not much sense in just fixing the bad spots,,then after its all painted next year more will happen. sounds like the fools didnt lay up anything for a couple of days after they shot the gel.having it re-gelcoated is so labor intensive,,after you shoot it you spend weeks wet sanding and buffing. the cheapest way is just to re-shoot with paint. i reccomend awl-grip,, but im an awl-grip freak heh...unless of course i was paying for it,,then krylon spray can goods nuff hehe