Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012
Aspiring to be a Mexican

sww914 is on a distinguished road
Re: kerosene stoves.. WHAT HAPPENED!

Kerosene isn't cheap anymore, it stinks, it blackens the bottom of the pots. Propane is the fuel of choice around much of the world for a reason.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

I have a non-pressurized alcohol stove (an Origo) on my boat and the ONLY drawback I've ever found to it is that it's totally silent (that's actually a plus and a minus: I can't tell just by listening if the stove is on; but, if I'm really, really stealthy, at a dead calm anchorage I can slip out of bed at first light and quietly put on a pot of water for coffee or tea without waking The Admiral). I don't live aboard, so I might long for an oven if I did. But, there are very few things I can't cook on my Origo with a cast-iron skillet/Dutch-oven combo set. A non-pressurized alcohol stove is simpler, safer, and just as effective at cooking as propane. It may be a little slower than a "direct", non-vented kerosene stove (such as a Taylors), but faster than an "indirect", vented kero/diesel stove (such as a Dickinson "Lofoton").

If you want a kero/diesel stove with an oven, look at the Dickinson "Bristol". It's their smallest stove/oven. The stove-top does heat your pots "indirectly" (the flame heats the steel stove-top, which heats your pots and pans), so it's takes a while to get cooking from a cold start. However, it's also vented, so any odors will be minimal or nonexistent if properly set up and used.

Don't let others pooh-pooh your safety concerns. They may not have had any problems with their propane system (yet); but the folks who have had a catastrophic propane accident aren't likely to be around to tell us about it, are they?
olson34, jimjazzdad and AKscooter like this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 12-08-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
Kerosene isn't cheap anymore, it stinks, it blackens the bottom of the pots. Propane is the fuel of choice around much of the world for a reason.
Cost: Just north of 4 bux a gallon in metropolitan NY Average Kerosene Prices - NYSERDA
Much less in many areas of the world. If your travels take you through Venezuela, you can fill your 50 gallon tank for a twenty, and get change, and you will be cooking away for years to come. Beat that!

Smell: nonexistent if properly pressurized. If your kero stove stinks, you are doing something wrong.

"Blackens pots" Same thing. Only if you don't know how to operate it (not exactly rocket science: you did not preheat long enough)

"Propane fuel of choice around much of the world" Poppycock. Did you ever try to refill a propane bottle outside your home country? S'ppose not.

And of course you find kero anywhere in the world, it is the cooking fuel used by more people (billions) than any other. And if for some reason the gas station close to the port does not carry it, just go to any airport and buy jet fuel A; same thing.
jimjazzdad and AKscooter like this.
Old 12-08-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

The biggest problem with kerosene boat stoves right now is that of availability. AFAIK Optimus and Primus no longer make replacement burners? The Portuguese Hippolita and Patria are no more. Until someone starts marketing Chinese-made copies, its either Taylors spares from the UK (expensive) or buying used parts to keep my Kenyon Homestrand running
Old 12-08-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjazzdad View Post
The biggest problem with kerosene boat stoves right now is that of availability. AFAIK Optimus and Primus no longer make replacement burners? The Portuguese Hippolita and Patria are no more. Until someone starts marketing Chinese-made copies, its either Taylors spares from the UK (expensive) or buying used parts to keep my Kenyon Homestrand running
Jimjazzdad,

Sent you a PM about the Kenyon stoves.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Old 12-08-2012
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post

"Propane fuel of choice around much of the world" Poppycock. Did you ever try to refill a propane bottle outside your home country? S'ppose not.

And of course you find kero anywhere in the world, it is the cooking fuel used by more people (billions) than any other. And if for some reason the gas station close to the port does not carry it, just go to any airport and buy jet fuel A; same thing.
The vast majority of world cruisers use propane with diesel a distant second and only a few kero fans. We have filled our propane tanks all over the world with no difficulties at all. We were set up to connect to foreign tanks but have never had to use them. Propane suppliers in places as diverse as Ecuador, Australia, and South Africa had no difficulty with US fittings.

Had a kerosene stove years ago, you could not pay me enough to use one now. The Origo seems like a good unit but getting fuel conveniently could be a problem.
Old 12-08-2012
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

All this talk of Kero. there are Diesel stoves and ovens.
Anyone have experience with Wallas?

Wallas Heater | Boat | Stoves | Cooking Equipment | ScanMarineUSA.com

There are a number of others too Dickinson is one.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-08-2012

CrazyRu is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastUndSchotbruch View Post
Cost: Just north of 4 bux a gallon in metropolitan NY Average Kerosene Prices - NYSERDA
Much less in many areas of the world. If your travels take you through Venezuela, you can fill your 50 gallon tank for a twenty, and get change, and you will be cooking away for years to come. Beat that!

Smell: nonexistent if properly pressurized. If your kero stove stinks, you are doing something wrong.

"Blackens pots" Same thing. Only if you don't know how to operate it (not exactly rocket science: you did not preheat long enough)

Well, I live aboard and I cook on kerosene stove.
Kerosene from gas station at $4 a gallon will stink at ignition and while shutting down when pressurated kerosene escapes. And, I can feel it while burning. I keep my hatch open in winter, while cooking.
Kerosene from West Marine at $25 a gallon and from Home Deport at $15 a gallon will not stink, almost.
I have blackened everything once in a while, not often. I guess I'm bad at maintenance, but old kerosene, the one I bought at $3/gallon a year and half ago can plug the burner...
Most annoying thing is that it doesn't burn as hot as propane. I have one burner kero and I have a propane camping stove. I cook on kero, but I pull out propane when I have guests. It is just faster.
I still love my cooker. IT is simple and I always know how much fuel I have by splashing it inside of the can.I believe that kero is safer.
But I have never had a problem to refuel propane tank on my deliveries of other people boats.
Old 12-08-2012
It's the Water and More

Me and Boo is on a distinguished road

The alcohol stove and oven on board were converted from alcohol to diesel by one of the POs, I have not drained the tank of old diesel yet to use it yet.

Until then I am using the world's choice of one burner stoves - butane in a can. Hot and clean. A single can lasts for many meals. I have a half dozen stoves, they are extremely cheap at Asian markets, for use at large gatherings.
Old 12-08-2012

sailpower is on a distinguished road

I know this is an older thread but it seems to be still topical.

Does anyone have direct experience with the Origo 6000 stove/oven?

It seems like an easy and safe solution but.....?

http://www.dometic.com/667f2813-7089...2e71cd66.fodoc