Old 10-30-2007

GBurton is on a distinguished road
21 000 lbs
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-31-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
I have to make the decision on whether to install the engine or not.
You’re on your own with that one. I don’t know what type of person you are and besides you don’t even know how you want to sail. Some people are content to do without an engine entirely and others want a motorsailor with lots of power. Your engine is small compared to what the average owner has on the average boat and that’s the only fact in the equation. Everything else is an opinion.

I elected to only put 20 horsepower in my Tartan 34C and by today’s standard that’s underpowered and your boat is much heaver then mine. I sail my boats and only have an engine to move in the marinas and crowded harbors. In fact I have owned unpowered boats most of my life and have crossed oceans on unpowered boats. I take pride in the fact I can sail and don’t need to keep to a schedule. The only advice I can give is to point out that by selecting an average size engine you will be among the averaged group of owners with an average boat and you will be just as happy as the average owner. If you install a small engine you will reduce the value of the boat when you sell her and put your self into a situation where skill and planning must replace muscle and brute force.

By the way, a turbocharger adds power at the top end of the RPM’s and to push a sailboat you are better to have the necessary power at a lower point in the power curve. A turbocharger is better suited to a powerboat where the engine is run at a higher RPM. On a sailboat a slower turning larger diameter propeller is better then a smaller faster turning propeller.
Good luck and all the best,
Robert Gainer

Donít waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.

Last edited by Tartan34C; 10-31-2007 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-31-2007

You're correct there Robert......the engine is small for the average user and I have to say that I'm no Bertie Reed.
Old 10-31-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurton View Post
21 000 lbs
Heavy !!

In theory I'm with T34 on this one in that I like to have the smallest engine possible. Saves on weight, saves on fuel (within reason), with luck can be hand started.

Against this are our local conditions. My preferred sailing area is outside the harbour but we are moored a fair way up stream. To sail from our mooring to the heads can be a strain dodging ferries, racing fleets, tankers, liners and morons in stinkers. Was easy 20 years back, now too crowded so we tend to motor until we are in sight of the heads.

Outside, I'd rather potter along at one or two knots than run the engine.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 11-01-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
My own ship is a 23,000 lb double-ender with a long keel. A 35 hp motor moves it well with a two blade prop. It's a heavy motor, close to 780 lb.
Old 11-01-2007

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
In this application torque, as in most sailboats, will be the main issue One thing is engine torque, another and most important is prop-shaft torque, in other words gearbox ratio and what prop it may handle.
The DV24 has a torque of about 55Nm in rpm range 1800-2400 and is delivered with either 2,5 or 3:1 gear box. That will give roughly 137,5 - 165 on the shaft.
If we compare to Yanmar 3YM20 and 3YM30 the figures will be:
3YM20 (21hp) 51Nm in range 2000 - 2600. Gearboxes:2.21,2,62,3,22:1.
121,5 -133,62 - 164.22Nm on prop shaft.
3YM30 (29Hp) 70Nm 2000 - 2500rpm, same gearboxes as above.
154,7 -183,40 - 225,4Nm.
My answer in this case would be if the attaced gearbox is 3:1, install it, You will probably have enough torqe and 'power'.
I have a 3GM Yanmar with a 2.62 gearbox, cruising wheight of 8000 kg (16000lbs) and run a 3-blade Flex-O-Fold prop. Top speed 7knots+, cruising 5kn at 2000rpm, in a Jeanneau SO37 -2002.
Old 01-19-2008

I sold the Bukh and bought a Betamarine 39 hp. It is very pretty
Old 01-20-2008

The Kubota-based Betamarine.
Should be a good unit.
They cannot rip you off for parts like Volvo try to.
Old 01-20-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
GBURTON,

Good call. Is that the BV1505? That's a fairly large engine, but it will be nice having 4 cylinders pushing that Westsail. I think you made the right decision, all things considered.

I like what I've learned so far about them while studying these Beta engines. I'd be interested to hear installation and performance reports when you have them.
Old 01-21-2008

It's the long-serving Kubota motor.
They have been around a while, so there will be plenty of bits around for them that were used for fork-lifts, generators, and so on.
This is so important in the long term, as the engine supplier cannot charge too much for the parts, as others, Volvo being the worst for me, try to.
If Betamarine try that one on, just find the bit that's broken from a fork-lift supplier, or similar.
The exception will be the marinesed bits, but do they fail often? I wonder.