SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Painting deck - Primer question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/38082-painting-deck-primer-question.html)

Finallybuyingaboat 10-30-2007 04:23 PM

Painting deck - Primer question

I am painting the deck of my 35 year old boat. Currently, the white portion looks terrible, you can see brush marks from 40 feet! I know, everyone says spend $3000, get it done professionally...well, I paid $500 for the boat, no way I am going to toss that kind of dough on a paint job. I am just going to use an Alkyd enamel. (Hey, at this point anything is an improvement.!) It is possible to enjoy sailing a boat that does not look like it belongs in a show somewhere.

On to my question...once I finish sanding down the current paint, and fair out any little nicks, should I prime the entire deck or can I just prime the faired areas? The areas where I have sanded the old paint are feeling very smooth to the touch, so I was wondering if a primer is need in these locations. My question just pertains to the area where there is no anti-skid; I will be addressing that with Kiwi Grip.

Freesail99 10-30-2007 04:34 PM

I would prime everything. Did you ever think of maybe using one of those Wagner power sprayers ? Let me know how the Kiwi Grip turns out.

Bardo 10-30-2007 05:24 PM

Definitely prime the whole area, but not until you prep it well. I am in the process of doing the whole deck myself and I'm ready to prime. The primer will cover a multitude of sins (consider 2 coats). Then whatever paint you are using. You may have to sand your non-skid down a bit to smoothly accept the Kiwi grip. Good luck and keep us posted.

Finallybuyingaboat 10-30-2007 06:05 PM

I'd like to use a sprayer, but my boat is packed tight in a yard and I have no way of preventing any over spray from floating around. Plus, I've never used a power sprayer, so I think this may not be the time to start.

I guess priming the whole thing is the option, otherwise I may need too many layers of paint to get the color even.

JimsCAL 10-30-2007 06:43 PM

Consider going to a one-part polyurethane (like Pettit Easypoxy) rather than alkyd enamel. Not much more expensive, just as easy to use, and much harder and durable.

Bardo 10-30-2007 06:46 PM

I am using System 3 2 part Linear Poly (water based).

JimsCAL 10-30-2007 06:57 PM

Good choice Bardo. A 2-part is the best way to go. Are you going to spray or roll-and-tip?

I was hoping to convince Finally to reconsider his paint choice. A shame to put in all that effort and not have it last at all.

k1vsk 10-30-2007 07:11 PM

one thing which no one mentioned thus far - if taking it down completely, you'd be well-advised to put two coats of primer on, especially if you don't use a good 2-part paint and spraying it all. If you are concerned about adjacent boats, simply cover them. Doing it by hand will never look as good and since you are alrready going to the effort to do it at all, why not do it right?

Finallybuyingaboat 10-30-2007 07:30 PM

I will not have to take the old paint right down. It is on there very thick, but the surface coat looks terrible. Where I have sanded it down, it is very smooth. I will start with a single layer of primer, light sand, and see what I have. More than likely will have to go to a second coat of primer. As for the spraying.....well I have never done it, so I am wary of trying to learn how to spray on my boat after I spent significant hours on prep work.

k1vsk 10-30-2007 08:30 PM

Spraying is an art so you are correct that making the decision to do it isnt an easy one, however, even a bad spray job can look better than doing it by hand. One thing which can make that decision easier is recognizing spraying with the proper paint necessitates the right gun, nozzle and clean high pressure air not to mention a good hand. Most of these are not cheap.