SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sandpiper 8 Dinghy

23K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  GansettSailor 
#1 ·
I just picked up a little Sandpiper 8 dinghy for $150. I couldn't pass it up for that price.

Does anyone else have one of these? Are they miserable to row? I'm hoping it's at least easier to row than my 8' Quicksilver PVC inflatable.

See less See more
#2 ·
I bought on of those a few years ago at the boat show. What I was supprised about was its life.. When not un use, I kept it bottom-side-up on the dock... The material borke down in just a few mounths and it fell apart.. I ended up sending it off in the trash can...
The cost wasnt that much but I though it should last more than one season... If you keep it outside, keep it covered.......

#3 ·
:eek: What is it made of that would deteriorate that quickly? Cardboard? Your dock isn't close to any leaky nuke plants, is it Randy?

That's just seems bizarre to me.:confused:

Fred

#5 ·
It probably rows better than an inflatable, since it is a rigid dinghy and less energy is lost to the flexing of the boat. The material may not be well UV-stabilized, so covering the dinghy is probably a good and cheap precaution to take.

#6 ·
Yes, I researched these boats a while back and someone had also mentioned that it lacked good UV stabilization - in fact I recall speaking to someone at the company and they recommended keeping it covered when not in use....

#9 ·
You might run into some legal problems doing that. The hull may be copyrighted, and making copies of it are going to be copyright infringement. I know of at least one case involving a sailboat where this was the case.

Well im glad i spend my money on a used Avon. I was going to buy one of these and was still considering it, but not now.

Ive been thinking of picking up a little fibrelgass dingy thats like the Sandpiper and building a mold from it to make me a damn good dingy. Think i could sell them?

#12 ·
I did build one of glass.. was looking at the fatty knees but the price was so high, I decided to build one myself.. I started with what you might call a nutshell, and built a mold off the boat, then laid up the ding.. I built it a little heaver than I had to and I'm still modifying the little boat after a few years of service..
The only time you get into "copyright" problems is when you go into business selling boat you made... If you keep it for yourself, theres no problem... I will admit, I sold the mold to another guy who made his own ding.. and I think he then sold the mold to someone else.. What I made off the mold, paid for the material I built the ding out of...

#13 ·
Actually, copyright infringment doesn't require the sale of the infringing material, at least in the United States. If this were no the case, then you could borrow a DVD from the library and legally copy it for your own use... which is illegal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.