Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-01-2007
MOI

MiVelero is on a distinguished road
reefing

Greetings,
I have a basic question on reefing with my present system set-up.
1. Is the red line path correct or should I tie off to the sliding eye?
2. My clew line is rope to wire.
A. Is the wire necessary?
B. Is there a block inside the boom ? I am unable to see inside the boom since the sheaves are riveted to the end and so are clutches at other end of boom.
3. If the above is correct where would my 2nd reef lines run ?

Be gentle I’m a newcomer..... I have read through the other posts re reefing but have not seen anything like my set up.

Thank you

pd : unable to post image of drawing, but it is under my gallery on sailnet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiVelero View Post
Greetings,
The red path is wrong IMHO, you should probably tie the line around the boom if it is a loose-footed mainsail and then run it up to the reefing cringle and then back to one of the outermost sheaves on the boom, ignoring the eye and the cleat altogether.

Quote:
B. Is there a block inside the boom ? I am unable to see inside the boom since the sheaves are riveted to the end and so are clutches at other end of boom.
The clew line is called an outhaul and it doesn't need to be wire. However, if you do decide to replace it with an all rope outhaul, make sure the sheaves are the right kind for rope. Sheaves for wire will have a v-shaped groove, those for rope will have a u-shaped groove in the sheave.

As for whether there is a block inside the boom...it really depends on how big your boat is. On a boat smaller than 25', I would tend to doubt it. On a boat bigger than 25' it is very likely.

Quote:
The second reefing line would tie to the boom and run up the other side of the sail from the first reefing line, through the reefing cringle and then down to the outermost sheave on the side opposite from the first reef.

For example, if the first reef goes up the port side of the sail and down to the outermost starboard sheave on the boom's end, the second would go up the starboard side of the sail and down to the outermost port side sheave on the end of the boom.

I hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-01-2007
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough

Old 11-01-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Greetings,
Your setup looks wrong. I can't guess what the cleat you mention is for, perhaps a topping lift...a picture would help...but it wouldn't seem to be needed for reefing.

You should read this thread Reefing, Spiral Lacing vs single line and how to tell what you've got? and set up your lines accordingly. I would expect that the sliding eye serves only to keep the reefing line in a certain position on the boom, the reefing line should be tied back to itself via a bowline, see my post in the above thread.

A rope-to-wire outhaul is not really necessary but it was a common approach.

As to whether there is tackle in the boom for the reefing line, probably not, especially if you are able to run the working end back to a winch which would provide any needed force. You can determine whether there is a block involved by seeing if trimming the reefing line x inches moves the end of the line by x inches... if the distance moved is the same, there are no blocks involved in the boom.

You install the second reef line just like the first, except it ties around the boom below the location of the second reef cringle in the leech.
Old 11-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SF-

I believe he was asking about a block inside the boom for the outhaul, not the reefing line. Other than that, your advice applies quite nicely. I've never seen a reefing line with a block in the boom.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-01-2007
Arf!

pegasus1457 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If you need access to the block inside the boom (if indeed there is one), you will probably have to remove the casting that forms the end of the boom and which contains your outhaul and reefing sheaves. On boats I've looked at this casting is held in place by a couple of screws.

If there is no block you may want to install one -- the mechanical advantage makes it a lot easier to tighten the foot of the sail while closehauled.

Micheal
Old 11-01-2007
MOI

MiVelero is on a distinguished road
Thank you for all your responses....
Ok, I go from the sheaves at end of boom to reefing point down to boom and tie around boom. At mast end pull tight and secure...
Why not tie to the eye? wouild look neater(just my annal self) vs around boom.
If I understand the idea here is to pull back and down
And yes i guess the cleat is for the topping lift.

thank you again
Old 11-01-2007

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
There is a whole lot of force pulling up on the new (reefed) clew. You want the boom absorb it, not two screws holding the eye in place. If the out haul at the clew is wire and the out haul exiting the boom is line – you probably have a couple of blocks inside the boom. There is also a lot of force pulling on the outhaul so you probably still want to keep the wire portion. If anything, you may want to consider replacing the (Dacron) line with something like Vectran, Dymeena, or Tecnora. I did, and it made a big difference on outhaul control.
Old 11-01-2007
Telstar 28

The major advantage of replacing the dacron line with something a bit higher tech, like dyneema or spectra, is that it will stretch less. That means the outhaul will be more effective at keeping the sails flat as the wind picks up.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-01-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
I believe he was asking about a block inside the boom for the outhaul, not the reefing line. Other than that, your advice applies quite nicely. I've never seen a reefing line with a block in the boom.
Isomat booms were made with shuttles inside the boom. Two-line reefing system. Was standard on a lot of boats. A lot of people have converted it to single line. The OE shuttles tended to jam.

MiVelero: Does your red line run through the boom - i.e.: does it come out of the boom at the gooseneck ? Are there sheaves there ?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.