Hilarious Pract. Sailor Article testing waterline stain removers - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-01-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Hilarious Pract. Sailor Article testing waterline stain removers

Did anyone laugh as much as I did when reading the latest issue of Practical Sailor? Excerpts from the "Waterline Stain Removers" article...

Three different removers:

"...In large letters it says "Fresh Scent," but goes on to warn "...corrosive...vapor harmful...don't inhale..."

"It appears to be quite concentrated: It has a strong irritating vapor; it dissolved the applicator sponge; and the wind blown spray from rinsing could be felt as pin-sized burns on the skin."

"...It immediately removed all stains but destroyed the applicator sponge in seconds. The small sponge shriveled and fell off the metal applicator handle, turned into a small foaming mushroom on the ground, and dissolved into the dirt. But the boat was shiny white."

I'm glad they are doing the testing, not me! Great magazine! I'll be testing their results this weekend on two projects.. cleaning the waterline (using one of the "Excellent" cleaners) and staining the teak (using a "Good" stain from the Exterior Wood Finishes article).
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Many of the hull cleaners are strong acids or alkalines...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-01-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
I am disappointed with PS; I read the Hanse 40 review, what really got me was the paragraph how they tested the hull construction by sailing and tacking in 15 kts and because there was no creaking, noises, and the hull did not bend or twist, it was top quality construction. Is that the standard today? Un-xxxxing-real!!!! I do not have it here or I wold quote it. Labatt, do you have it?
Old 11-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Damn...my boat must be real good, then..it only squeals above 30 knots..

squeel pig squeel pig....

Ahh I gotta see that....please post it....Hanse..huh??
Old 11-01-2007
1997 Dehler 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Damn...my boat must be real good, then..it only squeals above 30 knots..

squeel pig squeel pig....
HAHAHAH!!! Giu, a request, a "See Giu yell 'squeel pig squell' sailing in 30 kts" video!
Old 11-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the video request.
Quote:
Originally Posted by max-on View Post
HAHAHAH!!! Giu, a request, a "See Giu yell 'squeel pig squell' sailing in 30 kts" video!

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-01-2007

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Well since you requested.....I had this video to show on a different venue as Jeff says....

This was shot in a PS boat review they made on my boat....the boat's a piece of POOPOO (happy Cam?)

That they they also compared the difference between perforated toilet paper and kitchen wipes applications on a mrine environment, by throwing it at raged bulls, and did a test sail differnce between a Valiant from 1234, Pre Colombo, and a modern Swan...the Valiant won...more "chic" and better accepted among the wise "sailneters".......eheheh

here's the video you requested...

Old 11-01-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Practical Sailor is sometimes not so practical. I stopped subscribing some time ago over some of their purported "tests" and a lot of the stuff I was not interested in, for the amount of the subsription cost. It seems they've tracked me down somehow as I'm getting e-mail solicitations to renew. I can't but wonder if they're a little tight for readers.

It's not good form to bring up Capt. Blutarski and pigs in a family forum. (g)
Old 11-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
It seems they've tracked me down somehow as I'm getting e-mail solicitations to renew. I can't but wonder if they're a little tight for readers.
Nahh...they just don't have good enough standards....
Old 11-01-2007
1997 Dehler 33

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

The video, that's good, really good! Thanks Giu.