Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-02-2007
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road
Yanmar Kingston **** / seacock

When the Yanmar manual refers to the Kingston **** when talking about the cooling system, I assume they are talking about the seawater seacock. Is this true? Is a Kingston **** different?

I ask because my seawater seacock operates differently than my others--the handle has greater range of motion, which has made me a little unsure of whether having the handle parallel with the valve is full open or not. Instead of the usual 90 degrees of operation, it goes from a little beyond perpendicular to past parallel -- call it 130 degrees or so.

Can someone set me straight on this?

Thanks.

Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Arf...

Take the hose off it and move the valve to the angles you want to check. It will be apparent very quickly if you have enough flow.
Old 11-02-2007
Irrationally Exuberant

Excellent idea Rockter. And I'll be able to do that with a little less drama after I put the boat up on the hard this weekend ;-)

Thanks!

Tom
Old 11-02-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
The Kingston **** is on the engine and it is used to drain the block.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

It has been a while since I looked at the book but that's the way I remember it.

Donít waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.
Old 11-02-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I don't know whether the terminolgy is being used correctly, but on both the Yanmars (2GM20F and 3GM30F) we've owned, the manuals have referred to the intake thru-hull seacock as the "Kingston ****". There is some funny terminology throughout the manuals due to the translation.

Usually the lever arm of the seacock should have a 90 degree throw. But I have seen some that go through 180 degrees, such that they can be closed down in either direction but are only full open when parallel to the flow. If you can go past 90 degrees you might be closing the ball valve down some. Definitely inspect it to see how it works.
Old 11-02-2007
Irrationally Exuberant

Ah, so there are other ones out there like mine. I'm glad it sounds like it's been set open when parallel--I've been running the engine with it that way. I'll inspect in a week or so and report back just for the record.

Thanks for the info!

Tom
Old 11-03-2007
Sea Slacker

brak is on a distinguished road
Kingston used to be a manufacturer of seacock type ball valves back in the day. Their name is used as a general name for seacocks in some languages (notably, Russian, for example) and my guess is - Yanmar picked the name up in translation.

In general, there is nothing special about the engine intake seacock - it opens and closes, just like any other on a boat.
Old 11-03-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brak View Post
Kingston used to be a manufacturer of seacock type ball valves back in the day. Their name is used as a general name for seacocks in some languages (notably, Russian, for example) and my guess is - Yanmar picked the name up in translation.

In general, there is nothing special about the engine intake seacock - it opens and closes, just like any other on a boat.
It seems that everyday there is something new I can learn. Thanks Brak.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Donít waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.

Last edited by Tartan34C; 11-03-2007 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-01-2007

wfraser is on a distinguished road
I have a Kingston Seacock as well and would to know if I want to close the seacock, do I need to loosen the nut opposing the handle? My boat is in the water and I'm a little nervous tampering with it without knowing how it works.
Old 12-01-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Wfraser-

Shouldn't need to loosen the nut to operate the seacock in normal operation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.