Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-04-2007
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Good Product: Waterline Stain Remover

I figured I'd post as I use different products as to my experiences with them. Perhaps the information can help others.

When hauling Pelican from Lake Champlain we had a large brown waterline stain all the way around. Algae, decomposing plant materials, etc. make this stain. A pressure washer would not take it off. If you ran your hand over it, it felt like it had permeated the hull (i.e. completely smooth).

I bought "Interlux Heavy Duty Stain Remover" based upon a recent Practical Sailor review (it was one of many recommended products). I followed the directions, applying it VERY liberally on the waterline stain. It's a gel, so it doesn't drip. I let it sit for about 7-8 minutes and then wiped it down. There was no sign of a stain remaining. Two points: 1) As I mentioned, be liberal in its use. The spots where I was not liberal didn't work as well, 2) You kinda sorta have to wipe it off twice - the first time to wipe off the liberal amounts, and the second time to wipe off the remaining scum (which comes right off).

I'd highly recommend this product! It was fairly inexpensive, and was fast and easy to use. I bought it from West although I'm sure you can find it many places.

By the way, I bought 1 quart. I used maybe a quarter bottle to do the entire waterline of my 40' sailboat.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Thanks, i just pulled the Waverunner from the slip after a year in the water and it had all of the above crap on the bottom and sides. I'll give it a try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 11-04-2007
I'd rather be sailing

I don't know how it will do with barnacles or other things. The reason I picked it is that it's not quite as strong an acid as some of the other products on the market, so easier to work with (although gloves would probably still be helpful). I got some on my clothes and there were no stains (don't try it at home!)
Old 11-04-2007
Coastal Cruiser

Bill Mc is on a distinguished road
Try using On & Off, this product can be obtained at West Marine. Wear Safety glasses and rubber gloves. Works great but it is not bunny friendly.

Fair Winds,

Bill
Old 11-05-2007
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
If you really want to save money

Use Sno-Bowl toilet bowl cleaner. About 80% less expensive and is the same thing you just bought. We use it all the time here in the marina.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
Old 11-05-2007
I'd rather be sailing

Bill - We were thinking of using On & Off. The thing I liked about this particular stuff was the fact that it wasn't as terrifying to work with . Of course, I'm sure it won't clean the hull quite as brightly as On & Off would either...
Old 11-05-2007

JimsCAL is on a distinguished road
On & Off is really not bad to work with. Just wear rubber gloves, goggles, and old clothes. I only takes a very small amount to do the job and its works in seconds. I did my entire waterline last week in a little over and hour and used maybe 3 ounces of the stuff. Just pour a little in a plastic cup and paint it on with brush. I use a Scotchbrite pad to loosen the heavy stuff. Rinse with lots of water when done.
Old 11-05-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_dave View Post
Use Sno-Bowl toilet bowl cleaner. About 80% less expensive and is the same thing you just bought. We use it all the time here in the marina.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave
Why specifically "Sno-Bowl" ? Reason I ask is that its not sold in Australia so I need to find comparable product.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 11-05-2007
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
The products that seem to work like magic contain Oxalic acid, so not friendly. There is another down side, the acid seems not to leave the hull in the same state as new paint. I touched up a few scratches and the next year, the new paint had no stain but the old stained area around it returned quickly to its end of season colour. I was told I should always apply wax after using the product (In my case Starbrite hull cleaner) to slow the staining process the following year.
Old 11-05-2007
Seinor Member

capn_dave is on a distinguished road
Ahoy Wombat!!!!!

SNO-BOWL is a toilet bowl cleaner. I would try getting different brands until I find one that does the job. Shoot you could buy about 10 bottles of different brands before you approach the cost of the marine store stuff.

Fair Winds

Cap'n Dave