Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-05-2007

bmelchionda is on a distinguished road
Cost to install a dripless prop shaft?

Anyone know the estimated cost to install a dripless prop shaft with the PSS Shaft Seal? Where-abouts in cost am I looking at? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It would help if you said what kind of boat you have, what size propshaft it has, and where you were located.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-05-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
The cost to haul and a couple of hours labour.

Old 11-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
The cost to haul and a couple of hours labour.
and the cost of the PSS hardware...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 11-05-2007

svindigo is on a distinguished road
We installed one last year and the labor cost more than the hardware. The big driver will be ease of installation. How is your current stuffing box/packing gland situated now? If it is easily accessible that will help. If it is in an awkward location as ours was then you will end up investing in labor. Glad we did it but it wasn't a cheap as we'd hoped. I hope you have a clean install.

Ike
Old 11-05-2007

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I had a PSS shaft installed last summer, parts IIRC about 350-400, labor to a degree was negligible, as the shaft was out due to a worn cutlass bearing!

What WAS a problem, the installer put in a bleeder tube per instructions. BUT, the opening was below the water line, not 6-12" above per instructions........on July 4th on the way to Seattle to watch the fireworks, my daughter goes below, and makes a comment "There is water below here above the floorboards!!!!" Can we say "OH SHEET".........

Any way, figured out, if the bleeder tube is below the water line, you can start siphoning water back into the boat. I spent the next hr sponging out 20-30 gals of water from the engine area, to the middle of the boat. Missed a wonderfull downwind sail above decks anyway, with the chute up in 10-15knot winds, 70-80F temps...........

Something to watch out for if you have one of these installed.

marty
Old 11-05-2007
Telstar 28

Thanks for the warning blt2ski.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 11-05-2007

ughmo2000 is on a distinguished road
Holy smokes Marty!

What a rush that must have been! Thanks for the info.
Old 11-05-2007

Pub911 is on a distinguished road
How to avoid the syphoning problem

2 ways to avoid this potential problem: Put a syphon break in line and above the water line (not always convenient given a sailboat's heel); or plumb the water line into the output side of your raw water engine cooling pump. The 2nd approach is recommended for installation on all boats that can exceed 12 knts under power due to the potential to run the seal dry (due to a low pressure created in the shaft log at these speeds) but appropriate for all boats fitted with an engine driven water pump.
Old 11-05-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Before going to the expense of a dripless shaft seal, you might want to give GFO Fiber Packing a try. People I've corresponded with on-line say their claims appear to be true: Set it and forget it. Near the end of the season, just before haul-out, my packing gland started leaking like a sieve. I'm going to give the Gore GFO stuff a try.

Here are very detailed instructions on how to easily and efficiently install it: Re-Packing A Traditional Stuffing Box. And here's the same guy doing a PSS Shaft Seal Installation.

Good luck!

Jim