Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-05-2007

MARRSY is on a distinguished road
Replacing a mast

Hi,
Anyone have any clue what it would cost (ballpark) to replace a broken stepped on deck wooden mast – and what type of material should I replace it with. – Aluminum, wood, whatever else. I'm only looking at the boat and have no clue how it broke but it looks to be rotted out near the bottom.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Marry-

Really would help if you said how big the mast (height, diameter, etc) was...or what kind of boat it was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-05-2007
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
marssy, do a google search for wooden spars to start with. You'll need a helluva lot more data than you've given here to get an answer.
Old 11-05-2007

MARRSY is on a distinguished road
I'd like to change a 41 ft wooded spar to a 39 ft alum - I figure stayng with wood wouldn't be worth it in the long run anyway... I was just wondering about a ballpark price a few grand, 10 g's
Old 11-06-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Changing from wood to Aluminum is a big deal, there is a good chance you will have to replace all the fitting, most hardware on wooden masts are not compatable with aluminium.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 11-06-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Not enough information to narrow it down but a mast and rigging for a boat that size might run 15,000 to 25,000 depending on the number of spreaders and type of truck and it you need running backstays or not. By the way the weight of the mast was taken into account when the boat was designed and when you make this change the new mast will be lighter so the roll of the boat will change. She will now have a snap to the roll and some people find that uncomfortable. Why do you want a shorter mast? With a lighter rig you can have a taller mast and improve both the roll and available power.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Don’t waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.
Old 11-06-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
Also now that I am starting my second cup of coffee. A wood mast can be more easily repaired then a aluminum one. Just cut out the rot and scarf in new wood. You may be able to do this yourself but if not a good woodworker without any experience in spar building can do it for a few hundred dollars instead of thousands. Just get good instructions and advice about where and how to make the scarf’s and how long the taper needs to be.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Don’t waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.
Old 11-06-2007

Gary M is on a distinguished road
As Robert says it is dead easy to scarf on a new butt section if the rest of the mast is sound. You need to inspect the rest of it very carefully looking for rot and black spots. Where ever you have metal fittings or places where the varnish was not kept up are probable candidates.
The mast is likely Sitka spruce which is fairly readily available in smaller pieces to build up a section.
We have a group of local sailors who still race 1930s vintage 30 squares and 6 meters. These guys keep Sitka spruce on hand and if they break a mast they can have it repaired and be back out sailing within a week.

Gary
Old 11-11-2007

marlers is on a distinguished road
Marrsy
I replaced our spruce spar with an aluminum spar and spreaders along with a new boom on our CT34 in 2001 for approx $6500. our mast is 41' with double spreaders.