Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-07-2007
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
New AGM Batteries - Winter Storage

Ok, this year I replaced the old batteries, which I left on the boat last winter as they were no longer holding a charge, with new Lifeline AGMs (Group 24 and Group 30).

For winter storage in Rhode Island, I guess I should remove the batteries from the boat and take them home. Do I need to charge them at home, or can I let them sit without charging? If I need to charge them, any recommendations for a charger?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Charge them fully then take them home. You should not need to re-charge them over the winter, (check w/ a voltmeter monthly), but throwing on a bulk charge with a standard auto charger once or twice for a few hours won't hurt anything.
Old 11-07-2007
1997 Dehler 33

Thanks Cam, that is what I was thinking, but being the batteries are new, I did not want to do, or not do, something because I did not ask.
Old 11-07-2007

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Last year, I added an on-board automatic charger to keep them charged over the winter so I wouldn't have to lug them off of the boat. This is what I got.

http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage...20Recreational
Old 11-08-2007

haffiman37 is on a distinguished road
Where You store them is of less importance. It might be in the boat or at home providing they are stored in a 'cold' place. The higher the temp, the more self discharge. But see to that they are fully charged before storage.
For quite some years I used to take the batteries out of the boats in winter storage, but stopped.
Fully charged batteries generally went down to 60% when stored inndoors 4-6 months, when stored in the boats outside they went down to 80%. Just disconnect the battery cables.
Old 11-08-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
QS-

A lot of places won't let you leave the charger plugged in, since a majority of winter storage fires are started by boats that were plugged in.

What is probably a better idea is to plug the boat in a couple of hours a week or so. If you live near the marina or where your boat is being stored, that is probably the safest for both the boats and your batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
Last year, I added an on-board automatic charger to keep them charged over the winter so I wouldn't have to lug them off of the boat. This is what I got.

http://www.marinco.com/scpt/ProdPage...20Recreational

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-08-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
We never take the batteries home. Charge them up and leave them on the boat. It's a waste of time and effort taking them out especially AGM's that seem to self discharge less than flooded batteries. You're more likely to damage them by dropping them going up and down the ladder than by just leaving them aboard.

Old 11-08-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
"Fully charged batteries generally went down to 60% when stored inndoors 4-6 months, when stored in the boats outside they went down to 80%. Just disconnect the battery cables."

This is a sure way to ensure sulfation of the plates and consequent deterioration of the battery's capacity.

AGM's have a self-discharge rate of 1-3% per month; flooded batteries can self-discharge as much as 15% a month. Thus, AGMs can be left without a charger considerably longer than flooded batteries without incurring permanent damage from lead sulfate crystal (PbSO4) buildup. However, both types need to be kept at near-full charge to prevent deterioration.

Keep them charged, any way you can.

Bill
Old 11-08-2007
1997 Dehler 33

So, is the concern self-discharge and keeping the batteries topped-off, or does the concern also include freezing temperatures?
Old 11-08-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
A fully charged battery will not freeze. I've been keeping my 4D wet cell banks onboard for the fourth haulout season now. Not about to bust my balls hauling those monsters off the boat. They were 3 years old when I bought the boat, never been trickle or booster-charged through the winter and have not shown any signs of loosing life during season.

It's more important to have them fully charged at layup and disconnect all terminals from the battery posts. I wouldn't worry much about the low temps around Narragansett Bay, max. The temps rarely get to the teens, let alone single digits - even at night and if so, it warms up during the day.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.