SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

luffs, Battens and Leech ?

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Liquorice 
#1 ·
I just want to know what it would cost to replace the main sail on a 35 Pearson. Looking on the internet is not for the ignorant. Thanks

#9 ·
Quantum is Quantum....that's not surprizing, expensive but the best..... probably the best now, since NS doesn't give a damn about customer care support and attention...and are too important for normal people...with all the business from the AC's they treated too many customers bad....they lost...now that the AC's over, they comeback and tap you on the shoulder...back off leeches.....back offf

My next "clothes" will be Quantum...thats a given!!

#10 · (Edited)
Excellent prices.
Here's a quote for a mainsail for my boat - using Dacron:

FX SAILS INSTANT PRICE: NAUTICAT 33-2 Inshore Cross-cut Mainsail

Standard Price: $1006.00 Standard Features:
  • 3-Year Warranty
  • Premium Stitching
  • Aluminum Headboard
  • Cunningham
  • Draft Stripes
  • Leech Line with Clamcleat
  • Webbed on Leech Telltales
  • Premium Fiberglass Battens
  • Sail Ties & Sail Bag
Cloth: Challenge 7.3 oz. Premium High Modulus Dacron
SailArea: 216 sq. ft.

Show a Different Sail Headsail Inshore Cross-cut Headsail Inshore Tri-Radial Headsail Offshore Cross-cut Headsail Offshore Tri-Radial Headsail Pentex Club Racing Headsail Mainsail Inshore Cross-cut Mainsail Inshore Tri-Radial Mainsail Offshore Cross-cut Mainsail Offshore Tri-Radial Mainsail Pentex Club Racing Mainsail Spinnaker Asymmetrical Spinnaker Tri-Radial Spinnaker

Mainsail in Tri-Radial Polyant:

FX SAILS INSTANT PRICE: NAUTICAT 33-2 Offshore Tri-Radial Mainsail

Standard Price: $1872.00 Standard Features:
  • 5-Year Warranty
  • Reinforced Corner Patches
  • Additional Premium Stitching
  • Web Reinforced Pressed Rings
  • Double Tapes on Luff, Leech and Foot
  • Aluminum Headboard
  • Cunningham
  • Draft Stripes
  • Webbed on Leech Telltales
  • Premium Fiberglass Battens
  • Sail Ties & Sail Bag
Cloth: Dimension Polyant DC66 Low Stretch Polyester Cruising Laminate
SailArea: 216 sq. ft.

Show a Different Sail Headsail Inshore Cross-cut Headsail Inshore Tri-Radial Headsail Offshore Cross-cut Headsail Offshore Tri-Radial Headsail Pentex Club Racing Headsail Mainsail Inshore Cross-cut Mainsail Inshore Tri-Radial Mainsail Offshore Cross-cut Mainsail Offshore Tri-Radial Mainsail Pentex Club Racing Mainsail Spinnaker Asymmetrical Spinnaker Tri-Radial Spinnaker

Headsail in Tri-Radial Polyant: (although seems small - there're no specifics for a 150% Genoa)

FX SAILS INSTANT PRICE: NAUTICAT 33-2 Offshore Tri-Radial Headsail

Standard Price: $2630.00 Standard Features:
  • 5-Year Warranty
  • Premium Stitching
  • Reinforced Corner Patches
  • Double Tapes on Luff, Leech and Foot
  • 2 or 3 rows of telltales
  • Sail Ties & Sail Bag
Cloth: Dimension Polyant DC66 Low Stretch Polyester Cruising Laminate
SailArea: 371 sq. ft.

#13 ·
TrueBlue's sails looked pretty fresh in the picture's I've seen.

What are tri-radial sails? Are they high-performance sails? More durable?
My sails are fine for the coastal sailing I do . . . although I could definitely pick up a knot or two with new.

Here's a cut & paste from the FAQ link: (looks like they're made near you sh)

Frequently Asked Questions

Can FX Sails produce the same quality sails as the larger "big brand" lofts at the low prices I found in your quoter?
Yes, FX Sails has one of the strongest warranties in the business and the quality of our sails reflects this commitment. Our primary cloth suppliers are Challenge, Bainbridge and Contender, three of the the premier sailcloth manufacturers in the world today and we only use their highest grades of premium Dacron and Laminated sailcloth.
Why are FX Sails prices so much lower than other Sailmaking companies?
FX Sails has made the commitment to develop a truly on-line sailmaking company and services all of our customers from our home office in Charleston, South Carolina. Our custom sails are built using measurements our customers provide to us via our on-line measurement forms. The savings gained from eliminating the local loft / middle man are passed directly on to you, the end-user.
Will I get the same type of customer service I receive from my local sail loft?
While we may not meet you face-to-face, our business model actually allows us more time to provide personal attention to our customers than if we were going from boat to boat completing measurement forms. FX Sails will never replace the local sail loft and there will always be a need for the true, hands-on attention that a local loft can offer, however, we do take customer service seriously and believe it is the keystone of our entire business.
What is the delivery time for a new custom sail?
In the spring season, our delivery times are typically six weeks. During other times of the year, we can usually have your sail in four weeks.
What are the differences between your Inshore and Offshore sails?
Before we look at the differences, let's take a look at the similarities. The sailcloth used in an Inshore and Offshore version of a sail is the same - premium Dacron or laminated material from the most respected names in the industry - Challenge, Contender and Bainbridge.
Our Inshore sails carry a 3-year warranty and include 2-rows of stitching throughout, aluminum headboard, draft stripes, leech line with Clamcleat, webbed on telltales, premium fiberglass battens, sail numbers, premium luff slides and choice of bolt rope or loose foot. Our Offshore version includes a 5-year warranty, three-step stitching, additional corner reinforcement, in addition to the features of our inshore sails.
Should I select a Cross-Cut or a Tri-Radial sail?
There is no single sail type that's perfect for every sailor, every boat and every sailing application. Cross-cut sails, constructed of woven Dacron, are durable, relatively easy to build and typically less expensive. Tri-radial sails, built of low-stretch laminated fabric, are more complex, hold their shape better over time and are lighter.
Cruising bluewater sailors who might need repairs in out-of-the way locations, can benefit from the wide availability of woven Dacron fabric and the number of lofts throughout the world that are experienced in repairing cross-cut sails. Coastal inshore sailors, who also enjoy competing in a club races, will enjoy the shape-holding characteristics and light weight of a tri-radial sail.
Cross-Cut sails are made of Dacron, a woven fabric which is strongest in the fill direction, across the roll of fabric. The cross-cut configuration takes advantage of this characteristic, by placing this strength along the leech of the sail. Tri-Radial sails are made of a laminated fabric like Contender ACL, which is strongest in the warp, or along the length of the roll of fabric. These sails take advantage of the laminate by having the strongest fibers radiate out from the corners of the sail, where loads are highest.

#12 ·
I'm pretty amazed...they are so cheap...how's that possible?? madein China?

Look at what the quote for me gave...I could have a main for $4.400 !!!! And a racing Main for just $ 7800!!!!

MAINSAILS
Inshore Cross-cut Mainsail $4388.00
Inshore Tri-Radial Mainsail $6120.00
Offshore Cross-cut Mainsail $5208.00
Offshore Tri-Radial Mainsail $7031.00
Pentex Club Racing Mainsail $7842.00

HEADSAILS

Inshore Cross-cut Headsail $2805.00
Inshore Tri-Radial Headsail $4431.00
Offshore Cross-cut Headsail $3265.00
Offshore Tri-Radial Headsail $5048.00
Pentex Club Racing Headsail $5845.00

SPINNAKERS
Asymmetrical Spinnaker $2615.00
Tri-Radial Spinnaker $3482.00

#15 ·
FX prices are indeed VERY attractive.... but there's a couple of things that concern me despite the 50% or more in savings.

One, the lack of personal presence (ie, relying on the buyer's measurements, or standard "class" info)

Two, the possibility of getting a pretty lukewarm response from local sailmakers if any mods/repairs/tweaking are needed at any point.

Thirdly I've yet to hear from an actual customer.

#17 ·
I've been looking into new sails for our Camper & Nicholson 58 Ketch. Fortunately, the hurricane (IVAN) that shredded the #1 genoa and cutter staysail did not damage any of the others. We had the local sailmaker (first on the list) repair the small staysail. Genoa was a total loss. We have been looking into sources for the genoa over the last three years while we restored lots of other things on the hard. We will probably use a Quantum or other laminated sail to give us the widest wind range and ability to partially furl.

If you are cruising and daysailing you are probably well served by a dacron sail. If you race and push the heck out of the boat you may want one made from the laminated high tech stuff. Quantum has a good help section with pdf downloads that can help describe the differences in shapes, cut, materials.

Having raced on a Heritage One-Ton for 18 years I know that dacron is only competitively fast for about 2 seasons before it begins to change its shape. The laminated sails will still be fast after 4 years and well cared for, will outperform your 3-year old dacron after 6 or 8 years. The important thing is that you take care of the laminated sail with care. Flake neatly - no folding and no creases. Laminated is about double the cost.

The Pierson 30 is well enough documented that dimensions are available to the sailmakers so a quote is easy to generate. I include below the links to all the sources we've explored. There are also some used dealers there that might interest you for something special; drifter, kite, blooper, storm blade. some of the links are to my local reps of well-known makers. Just look for your own local rep.

UKSailmakers of West Michigan

The Sailwarehouse

KS

Atlantic Sail Traders - Used sails, New sails, Sail Broker used and new

MINNEY'S YACHT SURPLUS - WE MAKE BOATING AFFORDABLE USED

Second Wave-Marine Consignment Stores USED

Hood Sails - Hood Vertical Batten Mainsail (VB-M) for In-Mast Furling

Sunfish Sails, Catalina Sails, Spinnakers, Hobie Sails, Small Boat Sails from the Sail Store

FX Sails, Sails, Sailboat Sails, Custom Sails, Cruising Sails, Instant Online Sail Prices

Lofts - Quantum Sail Design Group :: Premier Sail Design and Development

#18 ·
Sailrite:
Sailrite Sailplan Database
also makes sails.
I've seen these sails - made in the US!
Friend had an asymetric made 2 seasons ago and it was well made.
May not come and measure but lots of discussion on the phone and made some changes due to the conversations.

Pearson 35 - $2306
8.4oz dacron
2 reef points
sail slugs

sam :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.