Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-09-2007

TJC1010101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil change Problem

I bought this West marine oil change apparatus...It's a one gallon white plastic container with a pump..you attach the hose and it's extension which fits down the dipstick hole..

According to directions..pump about 8 times, and the oil then is supposed to siphon..

I'm pumping like a madman.. "US pumping team candidate" it draws up maybe half way and won't go any further..Some one suggested..run the engine to heat the oil...brought it up to 175..helped a bit bit no cigar..10-40 oil

I'm down in Mexico where resources of other apparatus is limited to none...gotta get this to work..any suggestions..

This is a 50 hr oil change on a new Yanmar 4HE Engine...First experience changing the oil...used this on a friends boat..on a Volvo worked just fine..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Simple question; take no offense......

Did you try pulling the hose back an inch or so? Maybe you've got it jammed so the end is blocked?

It sounds like a physical blockage, rather than a oil-flow problem.
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-09-2007

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
The best time to change engine oil is after a hard run, when the motor is hot and most of the contaminants are suspended in the oil. Failing this opportunity, you need to run your engine until it's up to operating temp (or beyond, if you can), then change the oil.

Changing engine oil via a dipstick suction device is not a good long-term solution, as I found out after doing it for many years. You can't get all the oil out and, if sludge begins to form, you won't get it either.

So, my advice -- earned the hard way -- is to consider this device you have a short-term solution, especially with a new engine.

Think about fitting a real oil change system (like the XChanger) to the engine oil drain plug. I did, several years ago, and I can change my oil in 5 minutes flat (out and in) without getting all messy.

Bill
Old 11-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Seems like the symptoms of a pressure leak somewhere - shouldn't need to pump that many times to reach a sufficient vacuum for only a one-gal container. I'm not very familiar with the WM version, but I have had two different types of oil pumps with prior boats - both relying upon a vacuum.

The first one was a royal pain - dip-stick hose connected to a steel container with a cylinder pump attached to the cap. It never really sealed well due to a bad O-ring at the cap. I replaced the gasket and it worked well for a while. Finally replaced it with a Tempo Oil Boy:

Well engineered and built - the pump worked very well - but I don't need it any more since my current boat has an integrated oil pump. It's only a 5 Qt capacity, but draws oil after just a few pumps - fills with warm oil in about 10 minutes.

Check all the rubber seals on the input and putput caps, as well as the pump seals. Could also be the cap is cross-threaded.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 11-09-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Also, did you loosen the oil fill cap. In many cases, the tube will block the dipstick and you need to relieve the vacuum by opening the oil fill cap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-09-2007

daydreams is on a distinguished road
Smile pump seals

This happens to me every oil change. The pump seals dry up and need to be primed before they will draw a vacuum. squirt some clean oil into the pump assembly and work it up and down without trying to draw oil. Do this a couple of times you should notice a change in the feel of the pump when the seals ave absorbed enough oil and will draw a vacuum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC1010101 View Post
I bought this West marine oil change apparatus...It's a one gallon white plastic container with a pump..you attach the hose and it's extension which fits down the dipstick hole..

According to directions..pump about 8 times, and the oil then is supposed to siphon..

I'm pumping like a madman.. "US pumping team candidate" it draws up maybe half way and won't go any further..Some one suggested..run the engine to heat the oil...brought it up to 175..helped a bit bit no cigar..10-40 oil

I'm down in Mexico where resources of other apparatus is limited to none...gotta get this to work..any suggestions..

This is a 50 hr oil change on a new Yanmar 4HE Engine...First experience changing the oil...used this on a friends boat..on a Volvo worked just fine..
Old 11-09-2007

TJC1010101 is an unknown quantity at this point
All these suggestions are great..I just need to apply a few..Thanks
Old 11-09-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC1010101 View Post
All these suggestions are great..I just need to apply a few..Thanks

Let us know how it works out!

I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-09-2007

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
Finally replaced it with a Tempo Oil Boy:

Well engineered and built - the pump worked very well - ...
We have one of these. In conjunction with Moyer Marine's oil extraction kit for our venerable old A4, the Oil Boy removes 3 qts. of warm oil in a matter of minutes (as in: Just a couple) with just 15-16 easy pumps of the handle.

All the horror stories I've been reading about oil changes (old oil extraction, mainly), and, with the right tools, it turned out to be a breeze.

I realize this doesn't help the OP. Sorry, I have no ideas. Mainly posted for future searchers.

Jim
Old 11-09-2007
Courtney the Dancer

jrd22 will become famous soon enough
Our Yanmar does not have a drain plug in the pan so we have always had to use the dipstick tube. With the oil hot it has never been a problem getting the oil to vacuum up the tube. I agree with Ajari, try pulling the tube back a bit, maybe it is curling back up inside the pan up above the oil level. Straighten the tube as much as you can and then carefully push it down the tube until you just feel it hit something and stop there. It's either that or your new pump isn't working properly as suggested above.

1988 Brewer 40 Pilothouse