Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-09-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Pendulum wind vane -V- auxiliary rudder vane

Do you use either of these, I know the Pendulum types such a Monitor are very popular but I can also see the advantages of the Auxiliary rudder type such as AutoHelm. What are your views?

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007

RD3 is on a distinguished road
Hi Simon,

I installed a windavane on my Cape Dory 28 this summer. I considered both types and went with a Windpilot Pacific, which is a pendulum type. The main factors in my decision were that the cost of pendulum types is less, they can be easily swung out of the water when not needed, and that auxilliary rudders add additional drag. On the positive side, auxilliary rudder types are unobtrusive; no additional lines in the cockpit. They also work better in lighter air. They are sometime the only choice on boats where patching into the boat's own steering system is not feasible. Another type of windvane is the Sayes rig. I do not know much about those other than there is a direct connection to the rudder.

I am very happy with my Windpilot. I use a tiller pilot autohelm in light air and deploy the windvane when things pick up a bit. I find that it becomes operable in around only 5 kts. when sailing upwind. Downwind, of course, it takes a bit more since the apparent wind is reduced.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
One advantage of auxiliary rudder wind vanes is that some can be used as emergency steering, if the main rudder fails.

Scanmar, which makes the Monitor, AutoHelm and Saye's Rig wind vanes, also makes an emergency rudder.

Whether you want a pendulum-type or an auxiliary rudder type wind vane really depends a lot on what kind of boat you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-09-2007 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2007
Lost

rrgane is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
One advantage of auxiliary rudder wind vanes is some can be used as emergency steering, if the main rudder fails.
Hey i got a Norvane which is a pendulum, however it can lock vertically and has a socket to accept an emergency tiller. Do not know how effective a locked pendulum will act as an emergency rudder .. better then nothing i suppose..
Old 11-10-2007
the pointy end is the bow

erps will become famous soon enough erps will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Do you use either of these, I know the Pendulum types such a Monitor are very popular but I can also see the advantages of the Auxiliary rudder type such as AutoHelm. What are your views?
Looked at both options for our boat. We're going with the auxiliary rudder type. I liked the clean installation, the simplicity and the fact that it's taking a bit of strain off the main steering system. Both systems are pretty well proven to do the job.
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
Old 11-11-2007
Wish I never found SN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by erps View Post
Looked at both options for our boat. We're going with the auxiliary rudder type. I liked the clean installation, the simplicity and the fact that it's taking a bit of strain off the main steering system. Both systems are pretty well proven to do the job.
Thanks all.

ERPS that was my thinking, less lines in the cockpit, but its when sailing down wind will the Auxiliary rudder unit be sensitive enough.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Old 11-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Again this is pretty specific to the windvane and boat in question. If the boat is a well-balanced fin keel design then it may be enough, if the boat is a heavy displacement full keel, then you may need more steering power than the auxiliary rudder can provide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Thanks all.

ERPS that was my thinking, less lines in the cockpit, but its when sailing down wind will the Auxiliary rudder unit be sensitive enough.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2007
Wish I never found SN!

Thanks SD, I will be talking to the makers in San Fran soon, they make both so its not like there is conflict of interest and only $200 difference.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane

DELIVERY SKIPPER