Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-10-2007

Quickstep192 is on a distinguished road
Raymarine Tide Tables way off

I have a Raymarine C80 chartplotter. When I pick one of the tide stations on the chart and get tide times, they're waaaaaaay off. I mean almost the opposite of the real tides. Can anyone hazard a guess as to what's wrong? It appears to have the correct date.....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Same thing happened with my C80 then I found out I hadn't set the correct local time. Go to set up and put in the local time. It'll work much better. The tide tables are correct, your time is wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2007

allegedly is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to allegedly
if the date is correct how about the year. if using the 12 hour clock make sure either am or pm is displayed. i have the c-80 and it's working correctly. another problem might be....did you up-date the software when the new sat. went on the air. i think the new version is 4.26
Old 11-10-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

The date and UCT or GMT comes from the GPS. The local time you have to put in as an offset e.g -4. And it does not automatically change when you go to DST or ST. You have to change the offset.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-10-2007

Thanks, it was set to factory defaults (0 hour offset). Changing it did the trick.Thanks for the advice. Here's a question though... Why doesn't it adjust automatically? It KNOWS where I am!!!!
Old 11-10-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

But it doesn't know what time it is.

Old 11-10-2007

scosch is on a distinguished road
C80 chartplotter

Good to hear all the talk about the C80. Im thinking of changing out my old 5" Garmin for a large model (old age eyes) and was seriously considering the C80. My boat is a CD 30 and a 12" plotter would be just too big. I didnt know that you could pick up tides. Is that special software? Where would you guys suggest looking for the best price? Does anyone think there is a better plotter of about that size for about the same price?
Old 11-10-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by scosch View Post
Good to hear all the talk about the C80. Im thinking of changing out my old 5" Garmin for a large model (old age eyes) and was seriously considering the C80. My boat is a CD 30 and a 12" plotter would be just too big. I didnt know that you could pick up tides. Is that special software? Where would you guys suggest looking for the best price? Does anyone think there is a better plotter of about that size for about the same price?
Scosch,

I was at the same juncture as you. The smaller models seemed to small and the larger ones seemed too big. The C80 seemed juuuuust right. The flush mount option make for a very nice installation. Only about 5/8" or so actually protrudes above the surface. I have no complaints. I find that I have to read the manual for the C80 a bit more than has been necessary that with the Garmins I've had. The Garmin just seems a bit more intuitive. That said, the C80 works fine. I got mine from Boaters World during a boat show a couple of years ago and thought the price was extremely good. I did a lot of research before I bought. I'm not sure there's another 8" out there at all, let alone in that price range. I just wish they would make it graphically display wind speed and direction.
Old 11-11-2007
Warm Weather Sailor

Scosch,

I am quite pleased with my C80 except for one thing. The C80 uses Navionics chart chips and Navionics must be the worst of all the electronic charts, as far as I'm concerned. My experience is mostly with their Bahamas charts. They are highly inaccurate. The geo-referencing is way out. In certain areas if you followed their chart you would go over islands! I have corresponded with Navionics and pointed out specific areas where I have found the charts to be way off. My first trip with the C80 was four years ago. Their reply was that they have a "new" chip but would not assure me that the errors I had pointed out had been corrected so the only way to find out is to spend hundreds more on the "new" chip and perhaps find the same errors. I suspect that little has been changed as Navionics will not buy the Explorer charts which are the best for the Bahamas. If you intend to cruise the Bahamas do not buy a C80 or any chartplotter that uses Navionics chips. Get a Garmin that now uses Explorer charts or any plotter that uses C-Maps as the latest C-Maps use the Explorer charts. I guess Navionics is too cheap to pay for the Explorer charts. Their US charts are ok, of course those are available free!

Old 11-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, most of the chartplotters have a graphical tides station display of some sort on them. Even my handheld Garmin 76CS has one.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.