Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-10-2007

TJC1010101 is an unknown quantity at this point
The School of Hard Knocks

Commuting six months shore side on the hook a half mile out... you learn plenty..

Dinghy's: My 8 ft hard dingy looked pretty but useless..Banged the crap out of my boat...boarding and unboarding..If you had just got your boat imroned.."It would break your heart..and don't count on rowing..Once the current gets you you are gone..."Make friends..had to be towed once or twice when engine went out..carry extra plugs..it's easy to flood engine on outboard...rowing in a seaway doesn't cut it

9 ft West Marine Zodiac..with 5 removable harboards is great..not fast with soft botom..but only weighs 62 lbs..seaworthy and reliable..Have 8 hp Johnson..2 stroke..4 stroke's are heavy..Sea choice water seperator a must..only 27 bucks..works great...Put a cavigation plate extension on back of your outboard..50% performance improvement..If you get the signal all around light..you need to silicone around lens cap..water intrudes..also don't get on your dinghy without dry bags for your stuff.."Lessons we all learn at Key West Mooring Field...Nothing like experience.." It stows easy down below under main cabin table

Have the best batteries you can afford..AGM's..Marine X..Wind generator..never needed further charging...I have 2500KW inverter..hate using the percolator on my propane system..plenty of power for my Mr. Coffee.

The utimate fans 12V..are great..only 25 bucks a piece..very little draw. At Home Depot..needed my gen set very little...The Honda's are the best for portability.

My laptop powered by invertor...No you don't need pure sign wave..I also have an en Genius long range adaptor with 12db detachible antenna for picking up WI fi..had great reception a half mile off shore..

My lighting all 12V flourescent..For a cruising boat..electric toilet is a waste of good energy..regrete that...

All cooking done with propane system..just like home...nice and easy..

My point..Many of my preconceived ideas went out the window entering into the school of hard knocks..although I had set up pretty well for hookside living..

I worked out at a Gym pumping iron at Iron Bodies..Let me tell you...water is heavy..plastic cans over 5 gallons to heavy to swing on deck from dinghy..I get th yellow ones from home depot..put a blue spray paint stripe..Disciplined myself to get 10 gallons of water dockside per day....always had enough for fresh water shower...Make sure you have plenty of clothes pins..let towels dry on the lifelines..Lot to be said about being oin the hook..morning swims..waiting for coffee to perk...

One last thing..Put wallet or purse..keys and cell phone in drybag before going topside..to get on your dinghy...Shoreside I do this wel away from dock..law of averages will catch up with you in a moment of carelessness..."Loosing a wallet and or keys is too important not to take the highest precaution"...Take your time getting off and on your dinghy..when you are contending in 3 ft seas with water cans..dry bags..garbage bags etc..Get on first...keep your hands free...then once on..retrieve tour stuff from dinghy that's on the back deck..Make sure your engine starts before casting off..or you might find yourself owing a fried a case of cold stuff for retrieving you..

Last edited by TJC1010101; 11-10-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: spelling is atrocious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2007
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the info TJ. I'll put it in my file.

Vaya con Dios
Old 11-10-2007
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
Thanks for the info TJ. I'll put it in my file.
Ditto here to TJ thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 11-10-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Good advice all around. I plan to row in anchorages when possible, but I plan to have an outboard when necessary and a sail rig when feeling frisky.
Old 11-12-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Great post! Thanks.

(edit: of course then I finally read the Isla Mujeres to Panama thread....)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)

Last edited by ReverendMike; 11-12-2007 at 04:28 PM.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.