Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-10-2007

NebraskaMike is on a distinguished road
Aquarius 23 Question

Hi. My name is Mike and I just bought an Aqaurius 23. I would like to buy/make a new "camper top." I am not sure if that is what it is called. From pictures I have seen it looks like the original was canvas and misquito netting. We would like to spend some weekends on the boat this summer so I have to figure out how to buy/make one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2007

Andyman is on a distinguished road
It's called a Dodger. Yes, they are canvas and clear vinyl for the windows. They attach to the hatch and to the deck with snaps. Join the Aquarius forum here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Aquarius-owners/ Tons of great info, big archive and lots of pics. BTW...I have a 72 Aquarius 23.

Where in Nebraska are you? I grew up in Ogallala.

Andy

Last edited by Andyman; 11-11-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Andyman-

I think he's talking more about a cockpit enclosure, rather than a dodger. Most dodgers don't have mosquito netting. The Aquarius 23 is small enough that the cabin space is a bit lacking, and a cockpit enclosure would give the boat a lot more living space. Some boats have this as an option, like the Gemini catamarans have a soft-sided cockpit enclosure available to make more living space when at anchor or at the dock.

Mike-

Your best bet may be to contact the manufacturer of the boat if they're still in business, or lacking that, contact an Owner's users group or association, if they have one for your boat. That is probably the fastest and easiest way of finding out how to get a replacement enclosure, if one was normally available for the boat. However, the enclosure may have been an owner added modification, and as such, basically custom for your specific boat—in which case neither the company or the owner's association will be of much help. Contacting a local canvas shop might be a good third alternative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2007

Sailingdog,

I've never seen a cockpit encloser for the Aquarius and don't think there ever was one...not that one couldn't be made. Might be a cool thing to have, though. Also, the manufacture of the Aquarius boats has been out of business for many many years...Coastal Recreation was the name and they were in Costa Mesa, CA. And there is a Yahoo group for the Aquairus which is pretty active. I posted that in my first reply.

Andy
Old 11-11-2007

Siamese is on a distinguished road
Nah, Nebraska Mike's talkin' about the canvas that goes around the perimeter of the pop-top on the Aquarius 23...like the top on a Catalina 22 or 25, to give it more interior headroom.

I'd suggest printing a few pictures of the rig from the internet and showing them to someone who specializes in doing boat canvas (covers, dodgers, biminis, etc.).
Old 11-11-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Ahh... the boat has a companionway pop top, like the Corsair 24s. I see. not as elaborate or complex as a full cockpit enclosure, but a cockpit enclosure would add a good deal more living space IMHO. Be a bit more expensive too though.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-11-2007

Yes, the hatch raises up about 8 inches or so and there is a canvas enclosure that wraps around the hatch and...drops down and covers up the companionway with a zippered opening....called a dodger, no? I haven't seen anywhere where one could be ordered though.

I wish I had pics of mine...might help.

Andy
Old 11-11-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
and...drops down and covers up the companionway with a zippered opening....called a dodger, no?
No it's not a dodger. Dodgers are the canvas covers that cover the front areas of the cockpit like this:

http://www.peckenpaugh.com/Dodgers.htm

The arrangement on your boat is commonly referred to as a "pop-top", so if you were to contact a convas company and tell them that you needed a pop-top enclosure they would probably know what you were looking for.
Old 11-22-2007

Thanks for the information

I am talking about a cover for the pop-top.
Old 11-22-2007

I live in Omaha. Where do you live now?