SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bottom Paint Choice

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  rperret 
#1 ·
It's time to repaint the hull and I am looking for advice. I have been told that the Micron 66 is a very good way to go. The boat is in the warm waters of the USVI and I can easily give the hull a clean scrub every few weeks, but I am told that some bottom paints will last longer if you simply use the best one and leave them alone. Any thoughts on the best paint for the warm Caribbean waters.

#2 ·
If Caribbean waters is anything like in Far East (Singapore) then Micron 66 should do the trick. Many sailboaters here uses the 66 and love it. It resist marine growth much better than Micron Extra. Underwater hull lines looks pretty good even after 7 months.

#3 · (Edited)
Micron 66 has excellent anti fouling properties. It is very ablative however and does not stand up well to repeated cleanings. Bear in mind that simply "leaving it alone" will mean you have a dirty bottom. It will foul. Here in the Bay Area, it is used primarily by racers and they can expect to get about one year out of it.

#5 ·
Any good modified epoxy should work well. I like Petit Trinidad SR. People are probably tired of me touting it, but it has great anti fouling properties and is very durable. But my experience with it is limited to California. You should ask others in your area who have used Trinidad if they recommend it.

#9 ·
I used it the last time and it lasted exactly six months and boom....barnicles everywhere. DON'T USE IT.
i don't agree - i have used it and no barnacles - some slime, but no barnacles.

all depends upon water, usage, hull prep, etc.

Rick

#8 ·
Practical sailor did a test last year I believe on bottom paints. Florida was one of the areas they tested. Will have to see if I can find it.

As fastbottom recommends - ask the locals. They will tell you more or less what works/does not works.

Also, I don't believe there is a magic solution to fouling. You need to clean the bottom at some point during the season - either pay a diver or do it yourself...

Rick

#14 ·
Practical sailor did a test last year I believe on bottom paints. Florida was one of the areas they tested. Will have to see if I can find it.

=
...., yes, and a few years ago, Trinidad SR was rated very highly by PS, and now it's not. So go figure; I can't understand it.

Another for for Trinidad SR. I sail out of Annapolis. I'm getting a good three years from two coats of this paint.

#10 ·
I have a wood hull and have always used Trinidad Red, the local diver hates me because I rarely need cleaning. I agree with the idea of taping into the local knowledge, every climate has different variables to how long the paint will last and what type of growth (and borers if you're wood) you need to be concerned with.

#12 ·
I keep my boat in the same yard as a noted long distance sailor - Eric Forsyth. I was at the yard one year when he had just returned from cruise and watched his boat being hauled. The bottom was pristine - no growth of any kind. So I immediately asked what bottom paint he used (Trinidad) and switched to that for the next year. My usage is a month long cruise (Long Is. to Maine) and occassional day sailing the rest of the season. At the end of that season I had just as much fouling (both hard and soft) as with my previous paint.

Why? The answer is keeping moving. Eric spends much more time underway than at anchor. I spend much more time at the dock than underway. That is the primary factor, the type of paint is secondary.

So my conclusion is to select a bottom paint using different criteria (sticking to the good brands of paint). I have gone to an ablative and use it for multiple seasons with just touch-ups annually. My criteria here is simply cost. You can use a top level paint for the same total cost as el cheapo paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.