SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Bottom Paint Choice (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/38393-bottom-paint-choice.html)

dsbentley 11-10-2007 08:27 PM

Bottom Paint Choice

It's time to repaint the hull and I am looking for advice. I have been told that the Micron 66 is a very good way to go. The boat is in the warm waters of the USVI and I can easily give the hull a clean scrub every few weeks, but I am told that some bottom paints will last longer if you simply use the best one and leave them alone. Any thoughts on the best paint for the warm Caribbean waters.

trantor12020 11-11-2007 09:19 AM

If Caribbean waters is anything like in Far East (Singapore) then Micron 66 should do the trick. Many sailboaters here uses the 66 and love it. It resist marine growth much better than Micron Extra. Underwater hull lines looks pretty good even after 7 months.

Fstbttms 11-11-2007 10:16 AM

Micron 66 has excellent anti fouling properties. It is very ablative however and does not stand up well to repeated cleanings. Bear in mind that simply "leaving it alone" will mean you have a dirty bottom. It will foul. Here in the Bay Area, it is used primarily by racers and they can expect to get about one year out of it.

dsbentley 11-12-2007 06:26 PM

Is there a better option then Micron if your not racing?

Fstbttms 11-12-2007 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsbentley (Post 221511)
Is there a better option then Micron if your not racing?

Any good modified epoxy should work well. I like Petit Trinidad SR. People are probably tired of me touting it, but it has great anti fouling properties and is very durable. But my experience with it is limited to California. You should ask others in your area who have used Trinidad if they recommend it.

max-on 11-12-2007 09:10 PM

I second the use of Trinidad SR, no hard growth, only some slime that comes off with a sponge wipe down a few times over the season if you're picky; although I have only used the product in southern new england.

avazquez 11-12-2007 09:19 PM

Stay Away From Vivid Pettit..it's Junk

I used it the last time and it lasted exactly six months and boom....barnicles everywhere. DON'T USE IT.

rperret 11-12-2007 09:29 PM

Practical sailor did a test last year I believe on bottom paints. Florida was one of the areas they tested. Will have to see if I can find it.

As fastbottom recommends - ask the locals. They will tell you more or less what works/does not works.

Also, I don't believe there is a magic solution to fouling. You need to clean the bottom at some point during the season - either pay a diver or do it yourself...

Rick

rperret 11-12-2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avazquez (Post 221659)
I used it the last time and it lasted exactly six months and boom....barnicles everywhere. DON'T USE IT.

i don't agree - i have used it and no barnacles - some slime, but no barnacles.

all depends upon water, usage, hull prep, etc.

Rick

Lion35 11-13-2007 02:18 AM

I have a wood hull and have always used Trinidad Red, the local diver hates me because I rarely need cleaning. I agree with the idea of taping into the local knowledge, every climate has different variables to how long the paint will last and what type of growth (and borers if you're wood) you need to be concerned with.