SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Windex alternative..Help

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Giulietta 
#1 ·
Recently saw a windex alternative in a magazine, It looked like a GPS antenna with no moving parts. Had an opening through the middle that sensed wind direction and speed as the air passed through the opening. Looked pretty cool. I think it also had a temperature sensor built in but not sure of that part.. Anyway, I have been trying to find out more info and cannot now remember the manufacturer or what it was even called. I've so far been frustrated in my web search. Anyone seen this wind sensor before? I need a link to further info if you know who makes it. Anyone out there who has installed one of these and can provide feedback or review would be nice.

Thanks,
Steve

#2 ·
Also, the other real problem with those that I see, if the electrical system fails, you don't even have the physical indicator to look at. If a TackTick or Raymarine wind instrument fails, for lack of electricity, wiring issues, etc... you can still look up at the masthead and see what the wind angle is. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.