Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-12-2007
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Messenger Line

Pretty simple question, but does anyone out there have something specific they like to use for messenger line with taking down/up halyards and such? I have used a couple of basic small string lines from the local hardware, and had them occasionally break. I realize that there are places a small line can get caught, but wonder if any of you have found a particular line you really like for a ~ 40' mast.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-12-2007

Tartan34C will become famous soon enough
I use 1/8Ē solid braid nylon. It happens to be Samson but any brand will do.
All the best,
Robert Gainer

Donít waste time making the same old mistakes but instead make new ones and to insure your place in history be sure the mistakes are big ones.

Never design a mast that is weaker then the boat
Never design a boat that is weaker then the mast

Never listen to someone describe why your project will not work unless they can show you the broken pieces of their own version.
Old 11-12-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd second the use of 1/8" braid. Anything smaller will often jump the sheaves and get caught in places you're not going to free it from without going up the stick.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-12-2007

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
Has anyone tried parachute cord? It seems like a very economical solution. Very high strength stuff, but pretty stretchy...
Old 11-12-2007
SeŮor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Doesn't really matter what you use, as long as it will withstand years of UV exposure and the load resistance for running doublebraid through your spars.

I really don't know what is used on my masts - have at least 6 messenger lines on unused main & mizzen sheaves, all there prior to purchase. They appear to be 1/8" braided nylon, in visibly good shape. Hopefully they will prove to be sound, if and when I ever need them.
Old 11-13-2007

Omatako will become famous soon enough
I hope this doesn't qualify as hijacking a thread but just a useful tip I learned to put messengers into the mast.
Connect a piece of ordinary ball-type bathplug chain to the messenger, drop it in from the top of the mast. The weight of the chain makes sure it goes straight down and when it gets down alongside the hole that you want to pull it through, stick a thin manetic tipped tool into the mast to "grab" it. It works a treat.
Cheers
Andre
Old 11-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Window sash chain or bicycle chain generally works better, since it weighs more and can overcome the friction of the sheaves more easily.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.