SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Gear & Maintenance (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/)
-   -   Gross problem (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-maintenance/38469-gross-problem.html)

HoffaLives 11-13-2007 04:00 PM

Gross problem
 
My plumbing is plugged. I can't get my macerator working - it powers up and starts to slow down, down, and eventually stalls and throws the breaker. I can't imagine what's in there except maybe someone at the boatyard where I had the shaft log fixed tossed something nasty into the head. I now have a full holding tank and can't discharge. Guess I'll have to find a pump-out, but the line to the macerator is a separate one, and I really, really don't want to have to take this apart.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas/tricks for unplugging a clogged holding tank-macerator hose?

AjariBonten 11-13-2007 04:02 PM

OMG Hoffa, you ever heard the term "Jonah"?

My heart goes out to you..............

sailingdog 11-13-2007 04:05 PM

Hoffa-

You could try flushing water in through the seacock, and pushing what ever mess the macerator can't handle back into the holding tank, and pray that the holding tank pumpout can handle it. Other than that... you're pretty much going to have to bite the bullet on this if that doesn't work.

rennisaint 11-13-2007 04:12 PM

Does your pump have a manual crank output so you can crank it backwards to try to dislodge the.... whatever? Can you disconnect the downstream side of the pump and hook it up to a pressure line and try to blow the pump backwards (Probably best done after your holding tank is emptied). Otherwise..... be happy you don't get to play with gray water every day, and tear her apart and have fun! Remember, your **** is my bread and butter.

USCGRET1990 11-13-2007 04:14 PM

:rolleyes: drink more Corona and stop pooping such hard (unflushable)turds...:D

Gene T 11-13-2007 04:48 PM

Stupid question - the seacock is open, right? Yard might have shut it.

sailingdog 11-13-2007 04:51 PM

Might not be so stupid...if it is a stupid question, it may be a very good stupid question... I was hoping he checked the basics first. :rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene T (Post 222174)
Stupid question - the seacock is open, right? Yard might have shut it.


HoffaLives 11-13-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjariBonten (Post 222115)
OMG Hoffa, you ever heard the term "Jonah"?

My heart goes out to you..............

Are you kidding? People might think I'm a whiner, but without resorting to hyperbole, I don't think we have gone longer than a week without something major going wrong. Most of the time I just have at 'er and keep my mouth shut.

I've never heard of anything like this, and while I'm not superstitious, it's like there's a curse aboard. Seriously. I'm a rational dude, but I don't know how to explain the continuous series of disasters/near disasters/problems that have followed us onto this boat. It's not like I haven't owned boats before and I know the work they require, but for every day I fix something, tomorrow two more things will go wrong.

I've never experienced anything like this. We all go through unlucky patches but this one has lasted 4.5 months, thousands of dollars and I'm running out of money and stamina. Since last Friday my power cord gave it up, my NEW depth sounder gave up the ghost, my internet connection no longer works, and my plumbing discharge system is plugged (just as the holding tank filled).

People laugh and I try laughing with 'em but it's damned hard.
Anyway, you brought it up. Just had to get that off my chest. :)

GySgt 11-13-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoffaLives (Post 222185)
Are you kidding? People might think I'm a whiner, but without resorting to hyperbole, I don't think we have gone longer than a week without something major going wrong. Most of the time I just have at 'er and keep my mouth shut.

I've never heard of anything like this, and while I'm not superstitious, it's like there's a curse aboard. Seriously. I'm a rational dude, but I don't know how to explain the continuous series of disasters/near disasters/problems that have followed us onto this boat. It's not like I haven't owned boats before and I know the work they require, but for every day I fix something, tomorrow two more things will go wrong.

I've never experienced anything like this. We all go through unlucky patches but this one has lasted 4.5 months, thousands of dollars and I'm running out of money and stamina. Since last Friday my power cord gave it up, my NEW depth sounder gave up the ghost, my internet connection no longer works, and my plumbing discharge system is plugged (just as the holding tank filled).

People laugh and I try laughing with 'em but it's damned hard.
Anyway, you brought it up. Just had to get that off my chest. :)

Maybe we should rename HoffaLives to Lucky. Although the discharge system does sound like is going to be a $h1tty job :rolleyes:

USCGRET1990 11-13-2007 05:05 PM

...I'm serious, hard turds can mess up any system...they would surely mess up our vacu-flush systems...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012