Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-13-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Gross problem

My plumbing is plugged. I can't get my macerator working - it powers up and starts to slow down, down, and eventually stalls and throws the breaker. I can't imagine what's in there except maybe someone at the boatyard where I had the shaft log fixed tossed something nasty into the head. I now have a full holding tank and can't discharge. Guess I'll have to find a pump-out, but the line to the macerator is a separate one, and I really, really don't want to have to take this apart.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas/tricks for unplugging a clogged holding tank-macerator hose?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2007
Aquaholic

AjariBonten is on a distinguished road
OMG Hoffa, you ever heard the term "Jonah"?

My heart goes out to you..............
I Love Her Well, And She Must Love Me
But I think It's Only For My Money
..... Gordon Bok
Old 11-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Hoffa-

You could try flushing water in through the seacock, and pushing what ever mess the macerator can't handle back into the holding tank, and pray that the holding tank pumpout can handle it. Other than that... you're pretty much going to have to bite the bullet on this if that doesn't work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-13-2007

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
Does your pump have a manual crank output so you can crank it backwards to try to dislodge the.... whatever? Can you disconnect the downstream side of the pump and hook it up to a pressure line and try to blow the pump backwards (Probably best done after your holding tank is emptied). Otherwise..... be happy you don't get to play with gray water every day, and tear her apart and have fun! Remember, your **** is my bread and butter.
Old 11-13-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
drink more Corona and stop pooping such hard (unflushable)turds...
Old 11-13-2007

Gene T is on a distinguished road
Stupid question - the seacock is open, right? Yard might have shut it.
Old 11-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Might not be so stupid...if it is a stupid question, it may be a very good stupid question... I was hoping he checked the basics first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene T View Post
Stupid question - the seacock is open, right? Yard might have shut it.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-13-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AjariBonten View Post
OMG Hoffa, you ever heard the term "Jonah"?

My heart goes out to you..............
Are you kidding? People might think I'm a whiner, but without resorting to hyperbole, I don't think we have gone longer than a week without something major going wrong. Most of the time I just have at 'er and keep my mouth shut.

I've never heard of anything like this, and while I'm not superstitious, it's like there's a curse aboard. Seriously. I'm a rational dude, but I don't know how to explain the continuous series of disasters/near disasters/problems that have followed us onto this boat. It's not like I haven't owned boats before and I know the work they require, but for every day I fix something, tomorrow two more things will go wrong.

I've never experienced anything like this. We all go through unlucky patches but this one has lasted 4.5 months, thousands of dollars and I'm running out of money and stamina. Since last Friday my power cord gave it up, my NEW depth sounder gave up the ghost, my internet connection no longer works, and my plumbing discharge system is plugged (just as the holding tank filled).

People laugh and I try laughing with 'em but it's damned hard.
Anyway, you brought it up. Just had to get that off my chest.
Old 11-13-2007
Semper Gumby

GySgt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to GySgt
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoffaLives View Post
Are you kidding? People might think I'm a whiner, but without resorting to hyperbole, I don't think we have gone longer than a week without something major going wrong. Most of the time I just have at 'er and keep my mouth shut.

I've never heard of anything like this, and while I'm not superstitious, it's like there's a curse aboard. Seriously. I'm a rational dude, but I don't know how to explain the continuous series of disasters/near disasters/problems that have followed us onto this boat. It's not like I haven't owned boats before and I know the work they require, but for every day I fix something, tomorrow two more things will go wrong.

I've never experienced anything like this. We all go through unlucky patches but this one has lasted 4.5 months, thousands of dollars and I'm running out of money and stamina. Since last Friday my power cord gave it up, my NEW depth sounder gave up the ghost, my internet connection no longer works, and my plumbing discharge system is plugged (just as the holding tank filled).

People laugh and I try laughing with 'em but it's damned hard.
Anyway, you brought it up. Just had to get that off my chest.
Maybe we should rename HoffaLives to Lucky. Although the discharge system does sound like is going to be a $h1tty job
Old 11-13-2007
SENIOR CHIEF

USCGRET1990 is on a distinguished road
...I'm serious, hard turds can mess up any system...they would surely mess up our vacu-flush systems...