Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-13-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BTW, I had my boat sodablasted, and the results were excellent. If you have any vendors who do this in your area... I'd recommend it. Probably a bit les than bead blasting—safer for the gelcoat too IIRC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Contact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus1457 View Post
I had the bottom of my previous boat bead blasted. The beads are a plastic that is deigned to be harder than paint but not as hard as gelcoat. This worked extremely well and only left about 1% of the bottom paint to be sanded with an orbital sander. The gel coat was undamaged.

This job cost me about $700 for a 25 ft boat about 8 years ago. I guess that translates to about $1500 today for a 35 ft boat.

This is one alternative to stripping with chemicals...
Hello,

Do you have a contact name or number?

I just found out that the guy whose boat is right next to me wants to have his boat bead or soda blasted as well. Maybe we can get a discount since the boats are so close.

I would prefer to have it soda blasted, but not if it's going to cost $2000.

Barry

Old 11-14-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Barry-

Sodablasting a boat about the same size as yours is roughly $1300 from what I remember. Unfortunately, the vendor I used isn't local to you AFAIK. If you would like, I can call him and ask him if he knows of one in your area.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-14-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
uh...

http://www.aittool.com/marineshaver.html

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs
Old 11-15-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Barry-

We stripped the hull of my Newport 41 with a product called "Peel Away". You can buy it at any Sherwin Williams paint store. Ask for a 5 gallon bucket; you might need that much plus 2-3 1 gallon pails. Our boat took about 12 gallons. It is a thick paste that you paint on like wallpaper paste and then you cover it with paper backed plastic and let it sit for 48 hours or so. The caustic paste remains wet by sealing it with plastic and it softens the bottom paint nearly down to the gelcoat. Neutralize the hull with Peel Away Neutralizer; a concentrated solution of Acetic Acid. We had the same situation you do and got about 80% of the paint off using this product. Safety goggles and gloves/long sleeves required for application/removal/neutralization but the product is non-toxic so you won't need a respirator (except for when you spray the neutralizer on).

The stubborn patches that were beneath the stands and the barrier coat paint were still a bear to sand away with a Fein orbital sander and 36 grit. For sanding it to gelcoat the Fein sander with vacuum is the way to go (if your yard rents them). The Fein is about 5x more powerful than a heavy-duty orbital sander from Home Depot. Even so, still ended up using a disc sander carefully to remove the toughest patches of paint or fairing compound.

I don't think we would have been able to strip it down to gelcoat without the Peel Away. We got about 35 gallons of paint scrapings off the boat with that stuff.

Last edited by KeelHaulin; 11-15-2007 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-15-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Paint Strippers and Temperature

Hi,

I think one reason I had disappointing results with two paint strippers is the air temperature. I'm on Long Island, and the temperature when I used the strippers was around 55. The Franmar stuff states the temp should be above 50. The Interlux stuff wanted it around 60, so I used it on the sunny side.

I also did not apply it the way Oldchief recommended. I used a bristle brush and painted it on. I used a thick coat, but I definitely brushed it on like paint.

Now I'm afraid it will be too cold for any strippers to work. I want the paint off before the spring, so I can concentrate on fairing and painting.

One thing I noticed yesterday when I was working on the boat is that it appears to be barrier coated already. There is a clear line about 1" below the boot stripe. Right below the boot stripe I see what I believe is gelcoat. another inch or so down from there is a gray colored material that is very hard.

Barry

Old 11-15-2007
STARBOARD!!

KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough KeelHaulin will become famous soon enough
Sorry for the re-edits... You might want to re-read my prior post. I think the peel away should work fine in cool conditions; it's main enemy is drying out. If it remains wet it will work properly; check their website www.dumondchemicals.com for specific temperature info. To keep it wet we had to spray the paper/plastic now and then because it was late spring/early summer when we did the work. Forget using the little plastic trowel they have in their bucket. I used a 12" drywall trowel and pan to spread it on quickly in addition to smaller drywall trowels for tight spots. it's water based so cleanup is easy. We used the standard "safety strip" product; not the peel away marine. We did not have any problems with gelcoat damage; except when I used the marine version to remove the lettering on the transom! The marine version damaged the gelcoat (it's supposed to be safe on gelcoat).
Old 11-15-2007
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
If you need info on strippers I recommend you ask uspirate, sounds like a man with experience.
Old 11-15-2007

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
What you really need is that bikini clad girl that is touting bottom paint to help youl.
Sorry couldn't help myself...
Old 11-15-2007

kuppersmith is on a distinguished road
I second the heat gun approach - but be careful - you can take off gel coat. That may not be a concern if you are going to barrier coat. Several years ago I stripped a deck on a 49' that had been painted with Sears porch paint (about 6 layers) using heat.