Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-16-2007
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Swim ladders on transom

I'm debating on installing a swim ladder on the transom of my Merit 25. Preferably one of the telescoping 3 step SS models that you can swing up out of the way. Anyone have one of these? How did you affix it to the transom and how is it working out for you? My out board is dead center in the back so the ladder would be off to one side. I guess most have a swim platform they attach their's to.

Old 11-16-2007

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...&cartId=657958

here's the ladder.
Old 11-16-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
zz,
I think the one you've selected has mounting brackets designed to mount on a horizontal surface, such as a swim platform. It then folds up and over, 180 degrees to lay flat on the platform.

For vertical mount applications, such as your boat's transom, you might be better served with a unit similar to this one:

Or, even this, if space allows:

The advantage of the above unit is, stainless keyed clips are secured to the transom, allowing for easy removal of the folding ladder. It is then stowed out of the way in your lazzerette, when not in use.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 11-16-2007 at 12:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-16-2007

Oh. Where can I find that one?
Old 11-16-2007
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Unless everyone using the ladder is extremely fit, or light weight, I'd stress getting the maximum number of rungs underwater as possible. This could mean installing a ladder that folds up to the point that the bottom of the ladder is in line with your pushpit top rail when retracted..

Also, given the smallish size of your boat I'd mount it permanently - for two reasons: It's instantly deployable in case of an MOB; and it avoids having to find a place to store it when not in use.
Old 11-16-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
We have a permanent, folding stern ladder, but our aft deck/cockpit is very high off the water - making boarding the dinghy a challenge when hauling stuff up and down.

I found a 5-rung ladder at West Marine which can be clipped to toerail mounts on either side of our boat, adjacent to each pilothouse door.

Clips allow for easy removal - removed ladder fits nicely in a pilothouse storage locker.

Defender for some reason didn't carry anything as nicely made as the WM model - so bit the bullet. It's been great, and we never use the stern ladder anymore, except when taking a quick swim.

This shot gives a sense for how high the stern ladder is:

Old 11-16-2007

Here's something I'd like to do.
http://www.quietboating.com/ladder.jpg
http://www.quietboating.com/ladder_2.jpg
I'd like to mount mine lower (as low as possible) and use 3 to 4 steps to get it lower in the water. I've used those "one step" ladders before and the first step is chest high when you're in the water. (easy for me being young and in shape, but others might have issues).

And I totally agree with Faster. I'm very limited on the storage space of the boat, so it will be permanent on the transom. I guess my question is rather about the installation. I don't see why I couldn't mount the first ladder I posted in a vertical position even though it was designed for a horizontal installation. Seems to me that the ladder would just swing down ~180* instead of ~270* into the water.

Last edited by zz4gta; 11-16-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2007

WOW TB. You're not kidding.
Old 11-16-2007
Señor Member

Yeah . . . eight rungs needed at the stern ladder.

I'd be very concerned with fasteners subjected to excessive shear in a horizontal installation . . . but I'm a big guy. Make certain you use through-bolts with large stainless washers as backing plates.
Old 11-16-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I would highly recommend using a metal backing plate, preferably stainless steel, to spread the load of the ladder over a fairly large area of the transom. The forces on a swim ladder are pretty high. BTW, I'd second mounting it permanently as well as getting the most rungs you can. If the ladder doesn't extend far enough into the water, getting aboard using it is going to be very difficult.

Also, one that has standoffs, that keep the ladder rungs a few inches from the hull are better than ones that don't have standoffs. If the ladder is flush against the hull, it is very difficult to use.

BTW, most boats don't have quite as much freeboard as TB's..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 11-16-2007 at 12:52 PM.