SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

alcohol stove tank????

8K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  twleckie 
#1 ·
Hey there everyone,

I'm looking for a replacement pressure tank for my Seward alcohol stove. I've had really good luck with my stove/oven and don't want to replace it now. However being that most yachts now use propane I'm having a hard time locating a tank for mine. Any leads would be appriciated.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Alcohol tank.

I replaced alcohol stove in my 1984 C-36 right after I bought her in 2002. I still have practically new alcohol tank. It was installed there just before I bought the boat, so it's not really been used. I tried it once and as I did not like that stove I decided to replace it with LPG. So in 2002 I removed the tank from the boat and it was sitting in my garage. It has pressure gage on top and the fitting for pressurizing with bicycle pump. I'm going to put it on E-bay as I have a lot of this kind of stuff that I'm sorry to trash. That stove I replaced was by Seaward as well.

#4 ·
Mikesailor - Jerrydog only ever posted once, last November, not since, so you may not have much luck getting a response.

Once you have 10 posts you might PM him to see if he's still around.

#8 ·
Replacement valves.

Hi I saw this thread a while ago and finally decided to something about my tank valve just in time to sell the boat. (Let it be a lesson to keep your boat in top shape cuz otherwise you'll just wait until you sell).

1/4" MPT brass Schrader valves (Amazon.com or your local hardware store) are widely available and cheap. Unscrew the old valve, clean out the threading, throw some teflon tape on the new one and snug it down. Should last another decade or so. At the Amazon price - about $3, it may be wise to order a few and keep them in your spares. Your tank may vary.

#9 ·
I made a tank

I made a tank for my stove, out of a 2 gallon pressure water type fire ext. Works well, and only cost a few bucks. Will not be back in New Orleans till after Christmas, but will gladly post some pics when I get back if you wish. Pretty simple operation.

#10 ·
If one replaces an alcohol stove with a propane model, where should the propane tank be stored when not in use? It seems that any place one would put it in the boat would make it possible for a leak to fill the bilges with a possibly explosive mix.

#11 ·
One needs a propane locker. This should be a dedicated space, built such that any fumes from a leaky tank can ONLY "drain" directly overboard (i.e., NOT into the bilge, cabin, or cockpit). This is often difficult to accomplish on a small boat w/o eating up a fairly big chunk of storage space. Securing propane bottles on deck is often NOT good enough, since a leak will still allow propane to make its way into the bilge.

IMHO, the safest place for a propane bottle is under the barbeque, on the back porch of ones house. Use alcohol, kerosene, or diesel for boat stove fuel. I know, "There are thousands of boats with propane stoves that haven't exploded...yada...yada...yada..." BUT, when is the last time you heard of a non-pressurized alcohol stove exploding? ALL fuels are dangerous, to some extent. However, keeping a tank filled with a heavier than air, explosive, gas on board is asking for trouble.

My Origo stove is safe enough to allow me a good night's sleep, AND hot enough to power my little stove-top espresso maker in the morning. 'Nuff said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.