Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-18-2007

EveningStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to EveningStar
alcohol stove tank????

Hey there everyone,

I'm looking for a replacement pressure tank for my Seward alcohol stove. I've had really good luck with my stove/oven and don't want to replace it now. However being that most yachts now use propane I'm having a hard time locating a tank for mine. Any leads would be appriciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2007

jerrydog is on a distinguished road
Alcohol tank.

I replaced alcohol stove in my 1984 C-36 right after I bought her in 2002. I still have practically new alcohol tank. It was installed there just before I bought the boat, so it’s not really been used. I tried it once and as I did not like that stove I decided to replace it with LPG. So in 2002 I removed the tank from the boat and it was sitting in my garage. It has pressure gage on top and the fitting for pressurizing with bicycle pump. I’m going to put it on E-bay as I have a lot of this kind of stuff that I’m sorry to trash. That stove I replaced was by Seaward as well.

Last edited by jerrydog; 11-27-2007 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2008

mikesailor_34 is on a distinguished road
ALcohol Pressure Tank for Sale

I have a vintage 1984 Shipmate Alcohol stove that works well. Unfortunately the pressure tank check valve is beginning to fail. If you have not sold your pressure tank, I would be interested. Please let me know.
Old 01-19-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Mikesailor - Jerrydog only ever posted once, last November, not since, so you may not have much luck getting a response.

Once you have 10 posts you might PM him to see if he's still around.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Do those alcohol stoves run on beer or other high octane proofs?

Marriage made in heaven...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-19-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Everclear, Bacardi 151 do burn in alcohol stoves. Had the opportunity to test this while camping. I forgot the fuel for my Trangia (like a Origo). My buddy had a 750 of everclear. We had coffee and eggs in the morning
Old 01-19-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailboy21 View Post
Everclear, Bacardi 151 do burn in alcohol stoves. Had the opportunity to test this while camping. I forgot the fuel for my Trangia (like a Origo). My buddy had a 750 of everclear. We had coffee and eggs in the morning
I'll have to keep that in mind now... I have one of those diesel heaters...but while I may run out of diesel - never shall I good grain alcohol lol

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 12-22-2009

boeroboy is on a distinguished road
Replacement valves.

Hi I saw this thread a while ago and finally decided to something about my tank valve just in time to sell the boat. (Let it be a lesson to keep your boat in top shape cuz otherwise you'll just wait until you sell).

1/4" MPT brass Schrader valves (Amazon.com or your local hardware store) are widely available and cheap. Unscrew the old valve, clean out the threading, throw some teflon tape on the new one and snug it down. Should last another decade or so. At the Amazon price - about $3, it may be wise to order a few and keep them in your spares. Your tank may vary.
Old 12-22-2009

flatracker is on a distinguished road
I made a tank

I made a tank for my stove, out of a 2 gallon pressure water type fire ext. Works well, and only cost a few bucks. Will not be back in New Orleans till after Christmas, but will gladly post some pics when I get back if you wish. Pretty simple operation.
Old 12-24-2009
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
If one replaces an alcohol stove with a propane model, where should the propane tank be stored when not in use? It seems that any place one would put it in the boat would make it possible for a leak to fill the bilges with a possibly explosive mix.

Monrovia, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.