Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-19-2007
blue collar cruiser

soulesailor is on a distinguished road
very small dinghy

I'm in the process of cutting up my plywood pram and putting it back together in a much smaller size. My end goal is to have a hard dinghy I can carry on deck (I already own a raft and don't like towing). Since I sail a bristol 27 space is limited; under the boom isn't really big enough even for a nesting dinghy so it will probably be fore of the mast. What is the smallest hard dinghy in use out there, and how does it row? I like this forum and I'm psyched I joined!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2007

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
I have seen some 6-7 foot hard dinghies. Once you get down sub-7 foot you're pretty much talking about a one-man-and-a-dog dinghy. If the beam is decreased too much, it will not be very stable.

The Dyer Midget is about 7'10". There is a "low-shear" variant of the Midget which shaves the top 2-3" off the boat so it will more easily fit under a boom on the coachroof. This reduces freeboard and also results in reducing the l.o.a. by an inch or two. I thought that Trinka had made a 6 1/2 - 7 1/2 foot dinghy, but I no longer see it listed on their website (just 8, 10, and 12'). But I'm reasonably confident I've seen a smaller version.

But in such a small size range, in my opinion a pram is the best design as it does not waste any of the length in bringing the bow to a pointy end. And a pram should be beamier over the given length which normally will increase stability and load carrying capability.
Old 11-19-2007

Mary51 is on a distinguished road
Montgomery 6'8" pram

I have the 6'8" for all the reasons you mentioned. It weighs 65 lbs, so I can pull it up onto a beach or hoist it onto the foredeck myself. It rows really well, and can take two full sized adults without any problem.

It also tows beautifully, very very little drag. In the worst case scenario, it will swamp but not sink. Lots of positive floatation.

Good luck. Finding things to fit available space on small sailboats is such a challenge.

Mary
Old 11-19-2007
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
You've asked a loaded question. As you probably know, your dinghy is everything from the family car while anchored to a fishing boat to take the kids out in. Choosing a dink on what it will be used for is sometimes harder than choosing the boat you put it on.
I've gone through a number of dinks looking for just the right one and I've turned up with two.. An inflatable, Avon hard bottom, that folds down into a flat pack, and a fatty knees that sets over the deflated inflatable, between the mast and dogger.
Your question, "smallest", If you could get both feet in a bucket, thats the smallest, but who wants to paddle around in a bucket. I would think of what you are going to use it for first.. If its used as sail or just paddle, and do you use it yourself or will you have others with you, open water or lake use, using it every day or just now and then..
When putting it on the fore deck, you've just covered your anchor locker or your ability to get to the locker. (thats the reason I sold the first dink).
The smallest I've ever seen was about 2 feet wide and about 3 feet long, and used by a guy getting back an forth from his boat in Sasusalito,
(San Francisco Bay).. I have also sean a few "Seveyor" inflatables, at about 4 feet long..
With a smaller boat, you dont have a lot of options.......
Old 11-19-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
Smallest on this site is 4'. Then there's a coracle. Any smaller than that and you're into an inner tube. If you'd like to be comfortable there is a Niccolls 10 foot dinghy that nests to under 6 feet long.

Last edited by CapnHand; 11-19-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnHand View Post
Smallest on this site is 4'. Then there's a coracle. Any smaller than that and you're into an inner tube. If you'd like to be comfortable there is a Niccolls 10 foot dinghy that nests to under 6 feet long.
Love the inner tube one only thing I need the inner tube from a mine dumpster.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic
Old 11-19-2007
humble pie rat

CapnHand is on a distinguished road
I think that might make it an outer tube, Simon. With my boat anyhow.

Last edited by CapnHand; 11-19-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-19-2007

mtboat is on a distinguished road
I wonder if anyone considered this? I bought a 1 man inflatable pontoon type fishing boat for fishing our rivers but it also serves as a way ashore that takes up almost no space. It is pinned together and has 8 ft. pontoons. Disassembled it fits in a suitcase. Cost was 219.00 dollars. I'm in Flathead lake so , freshwater obviously.
Old 11-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm... It really depends on what you need. If you need to carry three people, a boat smaller than 7' is probably not going to work for you...If it is just you... 6' is probably about the smallest workable dinghy you'll probably find usable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-19-2007

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
I had something called a "Sport Yak II" that I sailed around on as a kid. It was 6'6" I believe and plastic, and could carry about 250lbs. Had a cute little latteen setup with lee boards. Only for protected waters as waves would quickly come over the bow. Don't know if they still make them, but it would fit under a low boom.

I guess BIC makes them now: http://www.bicsportboats.com/boats/sportyak.php?lang=us

Last edited by sailboy21; 11-19-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: still made

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.