Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2011

tattoosteve is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzySailor View Post
Okay, just worked my way all the way through this very useful thread. Our contribution:

Harbor Freight Multi-Function Tool. We're getting to the end (thank the Gods) of a complete deck replacement, and use this tool fairly continuously, every day. We got two, eventually, and got the $5 extended warranty with each. With two we can both work at the same time, keep them set up with different blades, or with blades set up at different angles. Also if one croaks, you still have the other. They work great (though loud, I use ear plugs) and are about a tenth of the cost of the Fein Multi-Tool.

i totally agree on the multi tool, absolutely indispensable. i thought it paid for itself the first time i used it. also the finger sanding attachment can get to places you would not believe, dramatically reduces sanding time.

Last edited by Faster; 08-30-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-11-2011

L124C is on a distinguished road
Rust removal

Found a spray rust remover called "Ready Strip" by Sunnyside Products at my local hardware store. Contains Oxalic and Citric Acids. I've tried similar products before, but this stuff did a good job on rust stains nothing else worked on. 32 oz cost less than $6.00! It's odor free, and claims to be environmentally safe.
Old 12-19-2011
"Sparkie"

j34035 is on a distinguished road
Max Prop (PYI) is now on my list of preferred vendors. I worked with Fred Hutchison on parts for a prop and he took all the necessary time to make sure I was getting what I needed. They seem like a good company to do business with!
DD
Jboat J/37c (new to me Jan 2011); J/22 #1003

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-28-2012
leave my member alone

Chadfunk48 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Chadfunk48
Has any gotten, or know someone who as sail from FX sails online. Are they any good. They would be for a Hunter so I'm not worried about sizing issues. Any toughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Life is to short to be crabby. Go sailing!
Old 08-29-2012

Jerry Pleiades is on a distinguished road
Re: Product Reviews

I have tried many brands of ablative paints for my sailboats the past dozen years. In the Bronx, NY, there is a constant coating of brine shrimp. I would dive down and clean the bottom almost every other week by August/September as the water warmed up.This past winter I found an article in Practical Sailor. They raved about Blue Water Marine Paint Copper Pro SCX 67 Boosted Ablative Paint. It is almost September, and I have done one quick cleaning all season. I will never try another bottom paint!!!
Old 08-30-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzySailor View Post
Okay, just worked my way all the way through this very useful thread. Our contribution:

(snippage) They work great (though loud, I use ear plugs) and are about a tenth of the cost of the Fein Multi-Tool.
That's a very important tip about the earplugs. While you're at Harbor Freight, HD, whereever, pick up a box of the foam ear plugs. Be sure to use them right: you have to roll them between finger and thumb to compress them, then insert them INTO your ear canal. It will tickle when they expand, but that's the ONLY way they will work. If the end of the plug is sticking out past your ear, they will not protect your hearing!

Old 09-02-2012

Sea Dawg is on a distinguished road

3M Finesse applied with a Milwaukee right angel polishing motor will absolutely cut thru flat sun-faded gel coat and get it back to a gloss with color. Don't overdo it as there is a limit to how much gel coat you can remove.

PB Buster or Kroil are two of the best penetrants made for your worst fastener that's stuck. WD40 is on every shelf so you'll have to look at NAPA or some high end stores to find them.
Old 12-14-2012
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road

Gill safety knife.
Wish I could've reviewed the knife but the sheath held so poorly it would drop the knife if there was a stiff breeze. Wrote to gill, no response, no change in design. Horrible retention.

Last edited by zz4gta; 12-14-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 12-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4gta View Post
Gill safety knife.
Wish I could've reviewed the knife but the sheath held so poorly it would drop the knife if there was a stiff breeze. Wrote to gill, no response, no change in design. Horrible retention.
You're missing the point (no pun intended!). The knife instantly falls out of it's sheath into the drink. Then...there is no way you can hurt yourself with it. Can't get any "safer" than that!

Seriously, maybe your's was defective (looks like it has a mechanical release). If West Marine carries them (and IF you still have it!), I would check them out there. They would probably exchange it. No excuse for Gill not responding though! Unfortunately, poor customer service (or NO customer service!) seems more common now days.

Last edited by L124C; 12-15-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-15-2012

Led spotlight

Edit: See post 113 before buying this light!
Bought this Led spot light at Lowe's for $39. It's rechargeable, is compact (it's body is about the size of my hand), waterproof (it floats beam up), has a bright beam for a small light and has adjustable intensity to save power. The on/off adjustment system looks like a potential weak link to me, but user reviews are good. A nice addition to my boat.
Shop Stanley Waterproof LED Spotlight Flashlight at Lowes.com

BTW: This thread has proved useful and popular. Having just reviewed it again, I agree with early posts that called for a product review forum. It would be even more useful. Categories could include: Tools, Paints, Cleaning products, Electronics, Lighting, etc. The pages of this thread should provide a useful guide.
Attached Thumbnails
Product Reviews-stanley-light.jpg  

Last edited by L124C; 04-17-2013 at 03:13 PM.