Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road
Re: Product Reviews

Had 2 of those lights, bought at Costco in Canada for $29.99 each. Great ergonomics, size, range, brightness. BUT neither one would recharge after about 4 months. Used them when showing houses, never had them wet. I'm rating them 0 out of 5 stars.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L124C View Post
Bought this Led spot light at Lowe's for $39. It's rechargeable, is compact (it's body is about the size of my hand), waterproof (it floats beam up), has a bright beam for a small light and has adjustable intensity to save power. The on/off adjustment system looks like a potential weak link to me, but user reviews are good. A nice addition to my boat.
Shop Stanley Waterproof LED Spotlight Flashlight at Lowes.com

I bought one of these Stanley lights last year. Works great, no problems with on/off, really holds a charge, and is very bright.

Last edited by Faster; 12-21-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 12-21-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Oh no...say it ain't so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Had 2 of those lights, bought at Costco in Canada for $29.99 each. Great ergonomics, size, range, brightness. BUT neither one would recharge after about 4 months. Used them when showing houses, never had them wet. I'm rating them 0 out of 5 stars.
Yikes! I was afraid of that, but thought battery technology had advanced enough to avoid that old problem. I understand that Costco has such volume, that name brands manufacture products "especially" for them to achieve their price points (hence, the 33% discount). Don't know if it's true, but given the favorable reviews I've seen on the light, including one in this thread, maybe thats the case. If not, I'll be sure to post about it, just after I return the light to Lowe's!
Edit: Sure enough....The light no longer takes a charge. Called Stanley and they said I could return it (of course). Asked the rep it the light was problematic. He said "no...I have one myself". Yeah...right! Too bad. Other than the fact it no longer works, it's a nice light!

Last edited by L124C; 04-17-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-21-2012
Sundance 23

carl762 is on a distinguished road

Hmm, must have got lucky. Been using mine in a marine environment for well over a year. Love the light. It really packs a punch.
Old 06-11-2013

NauticalFishwife is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to NauticalFishwife
Re: Product Reviews-SNADS

Finally getting around to installing the snaps for my cockpit cushions. After thinking twice about drilling, even a small hole for the metal snap/screw I decided to use the 3m SNAD. It's plastic, has a great adhesive with no holes to drill. I used the male SNAP for the locker lids and metal female snaps for the strap on the cockpit cushions. So far, so good! They are holding very well!

Martha
Calypso-Dickerson 37
Old 06-11-2013

Tanley is on a distinguished road
Re: Product Reviews-SNADS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NauticalFishwife View Post
Finally getting around to installing the snaps for my cockpit cushions. After thinking twice about drilling, even a small hole for the metal snap/screw I decided to use the 3m SNAD. It's plastic, has a great adhesive with no holes to drill. I used the male SNAP for the locker lids and metal female snaps for the strap on the cockpit cushions. So far, so good! They are holding very well!
Do you have a link to the product? I checked Google and the 3M site and snaps snaps for everything from dentures to stethoscopes.
Old 08-05-2013

blutoyz is on a distinguished road

Boomkicker...

Two thumbs up

Installed easily and I no longer fight with my backstay mounted topping lift. An added bunis is no more ducking at anchor
Old 10-04-2013
past Caribbean cruiser

DocTom54 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Product Reviews

I have an '86 Peterson 46 that is fitted with Adkins Hoyle hatches and port lights. For the life of this boat these have been superior products, well constructed with little in design left to be desired. recently I went to replace the galley hatch as the opening portion developed a crack in the aluminum casting from metal fatigue from the spring. It only lasted 27 years! Wishing to replace with like brand I ordered a new hatch from AH as they would not replace the broken part only. It is a 12"x 17" hatch, replacement was $1275.00, which I thought was a bit high but as I could not fault the quality ordered the replacement. What I received was not the quality present on the boat and AH gladly accepted return with promise of a suitable replacement. Having just received the replacement and being again dissatisfied with its quality, called AH and spoke to Eric. He indicated that he had himself inspected the unit before shipment and found it acceptable. the issues are the castings which are of a much rougher finish and overall poorer in detail, the hinge bar holes were inaccurately drilled making the hatch and base misaligned upon meeting, the hatch is "reversible which is an additional charge but the support bar hole was not tapped. When I informed AH about the deficiencies I was informed that this was "as good as it gets" and that I was welcome to return the unit but that there was no point in replacing as another would be no better. I will likely keep the unit as I wish to keep uniformity in my components but I wanted to let folks know that we cannot rely on the quality of AH products as we have in the past. ERic at AH told me it was no longer profitable to invest the labor to make the same quality product as is on my 27 year old boat. And that is at $1275 for a 12x17 hatch.
so as a gear review thread just thought I would put this out there. The people were polite and accommodating and willing to accept return so I cannot fault them for that but they are apparently no longer capable of producing the quality that is their reputation.
Old 10-05-2013

rugosa is on a distinguished road

I had similar response and attitude from Eric over saloon and head hatch lenses and also opening port gaskets & fasteners. For two small lenses, 3/8" gasket & 6 2-1/2 socket head screws over $600. I located everything needed elsewhere for less than $200. They obviously don't know how their competitors produce a better product at a profit. But it's the attitude that less is better when boats cost more, production volume is lower, and the higher end buyer is expecting more. You would think tooling quality for castings would have improved, not gotten worse. A&H covered a huge market in their day, but it sounds like their days could be numbered.
Old 10-06-2013
past Caribbean cruiser

DocTom54 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Rugosa, it helps to know that I wasn't being unreasonable.