tdblanchard is on a distinguished road
bravo!
need more posts like this
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus1457 View Post
I use110V work lights around the house but every second time I go to use one I manage to give it a little bump and the filament in the bulb goes. A real PITA. The last thing I need on the boat.
I learned the benefits of using a headlamp from backpacking in mountains. It's inexpensive, lightweight, compact, focuses the light directly on the object of your attention, frees up both hands and is very miserly on batteries. Most operate on 2-3 AAA and usually one change of batteries will last a season.

Old 07-13-2008

landlockvasailor is on a distinguished road
HydroCore Marine Plywood

I have been using HydroCore Marine Plywood which passes the BS1088 standard. I found this company 250 miles from my home. That location is in Windsor, NC. Two other locations are in Michigan and Florida.

After applying varnish to the HydroCore, it has the appearance of teak, without the cost. Last price of 4x8 purchased was $85.00.

The woods that they stock are impressive and customer services is first rate.

Suppliers to the Marine Industry

Tom
Old 07-14-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up 4" SS Nicro Day-Night Solar Vent

$$ for $$ they cant be beat. One set intake & one exhaust. I have them installed since this spring and are very pleased in how much better the cabin doesn't smell and seems cooler than ever before.

Day & Night Plus Solar Vent

Last edited by T37Chef; 07-14-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-14-2008

Harken MKIV Furling & Reefing Unit 2

Purchased the unit in the summer of 2007, so far it has worked flawlessly, with the exception of the cheap like line that come with the unit there are no complaints. I got a very good deal on the unit and find it to be a excellent value!

http://tradeonly.harken.com/pdf/MKIV...rochure-LR.pdf
Old 07-14-2008
not-so-old salt

tonybinTX is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Seoladair Boomkicker

Boomkicker

Purchased: New 1500k model
Used on: 1984 Hunter 31 - fresh water
Other useful information: 4:1 boom vang, crusing main with big arse roach, 4:1 mid boom main sheet.
Install time: 1.5 hours (could have done it in less time, but this was the first hole I put in the boat) They offer install kits to use the boom track, but I opted to tap the screw holes for a more permanent mount.

Highlights: Works as advertised. Came with two sets of fiberglass rods. One thicker than the other to provide more resistance. I installed them first, but it was too hard to hank the boom level. Changed out to the smaller diameter rods (10 minute process) and they worked like a charm. I got rid of my fixed wire topping lift and now my mainsail roach no longer gets caught.

Their service department was awesome. Responded to email questions on the same day and were patient with newbie questions.
Old 07-14-2008

Cetol Marine Natural Teak & Marine Gloss

Easy to apply, easy to maintain!

I have used the light and original for years, but the much improveded color of the natural is the best yet, and with 3-4 coats of the gloss its getting close to a varnish Sikkens Cetol Marine Natural Teak

This spring we stripped all the exterior teak and applied the natural, IMO it looks awesome!

Old 07-14-2008
Great Lakes Sailor

padean is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up TackTick Sail Instruments

I purchased these this winter to replace my boats original equipment and installed while in storage. The instruments I selected are:
  • T101 Wind system with analogue display
  • T103 Speed/Depth "Triducer" with Hull transmitter
  • T909 Compass
Overall the instruments were very easy to install. Not having to run wires was a real treat, but even better is the ability to relocate the different displays to my liking (I often leave 1 below, and interchange the other two at the pedestal or bulkhead depending on whether "racing" or cruising, and who is responsible for what on the boat).

Concerns:
  • Hull "triducer" is a little bigger (2in diameter), and it is always a little frightening to drill a bigger hole in the hull for me.
  • Wires for the Compass and Triducer were a little short. I had to work hard to find a location for the Wireless Transmitter that met all the criteria the instruction called for and still reached both pieces. It would be nice if TackTick would provide a little longer wire for each.
  • Instructions for installation of the Hull Transmitter were poor. I still don't know if there is a battery, but I assume so.
Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase these again. The price is a little steep, but if you need to replace more than one major instrument, it is reasonable.

Be sure to remove the displays and store them below when not onboard, since they are easy to "lift" out of their mount.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
Old 07-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The TackTick hull transmitter and NMEA 0183 interface seem to have internal batteries of an unknown size. I know this since I can shut down my electronics breaker and the instruments will continue to function, after a short series of warning beeps.

I chose to not use the quick release mounts, preferring to permanently mount them to a port, which acts as an instrument panel on my boat. The port still functions as a port and can be opened to pass things from the galley to the cockpit in bad weather without opening the companionway, and used for ventilation at anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padean View Post
I purchased these this winter to replace my boats original equipment and installed while in storage. The instruments I selected are:
  • T101 Wind system with analogue display
  • T103 Speed/Depth "Triducer" with Hull transmitter
  • T909 Compass
Overall the instruments were very easy to install. Not having to run wires was a real treat, but even better is the ability to relocate the different displays to my liking (I often leave 1 below, and interchange the other two at the pedestal or bulkhead depending on whether "racing" or cruising, and who is responsible for what on the boat).

Concerns:
  • Hull "triducer" is a little bigger (2in diameter), and it is always a little frightening to drill a bigger hole in the hull for me.
  • Wires for the Compass and Triducer were a little short. I had to work hard to find a location for the Wireless Transmitter that met all the criteria the instruction called for and still reached both pieces. It would be nice if TackTick would provide a little longer wire for each.
  • Instructions for installation of the Hull Transmitter were poor. I still don't know if there is a battery, but I assume so.
Overall, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase these again. The price is a little steep, but if you need to replace more than one major instrument, it is reasonable.

Be sure to remove the displays and store them below when not onboard, since they are easy to "lift" out of their mount.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-15-2008

Thumbs up Galleyware Dinnerware

A bit expensive, but after using them heeling at 30+ they are a real value . I appreciate the thoughtful design allowing you to easily remove the non skid ring for cleaning.

Although we have only had them a short time, they show no signs of scratching from cutting on them with steak knives or similar.

One complaint, the coffee cups do not have the non-skid ring, I would have preferred to have it or been able to choose that as an option.

We ordered direct from Galleyware (The Galleyware Company) and they arrived within two days...WOW! I wouldn't go with anything else since using these, there is NO substitute IMO.

We purchased a set of 6 with the additional platter seen in the picture:

Last edited by T37Chef; 11-16-2010 at 08:52 PM.