Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
Barnacle Buster by Trac Ecological

Used the Buster Concentrate to flush my raw water cooling system, I saw a immediate reduction in engine temperature. I let it sit per instructions, 12 hours I think, as easy as winterizing your engine with antifreeze.

TRAC Ecological Marine Products

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Photo by Joe McCary
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
Water Pump Impellers:
2 years ago I put a new waterpump on our 72 HP Yanmar Diesel. I had been reading about the new composite impellers by Globe. The following is the text from the Defender Industries website on this product -
The only impeller in the world guaranteed to run dry for 15 minutes.
Globe/barco impellers are made of elastomer compounds, developed for optimum performance and self lubricating for run dry protection.
These compounds (niprene) allow these impellers to pump diesel, fuel, engine oil and gasoline without swelling.
Also, these impellers have greater resistance to sand and dirt abrasion.
This weekend in Nantucket Sound, the water temp alarm went off while running at our usual 2,800 rpm and throwing good water out the exhaust. Short version following is the two year old "you beauty" Globe impeller was worn at the back end and replacing the impeller solved the over heating. There are filters at the raw water intake prior to the seacock and two filters prior to the water pump. There was nothing other than minor weed in the primary filter/strainer. I had been expecting better from the new composite filters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 08-13-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
ATN Topclimber

I had had a halyard jammed up the mast due to a "racer's" excitement, and then that asym mishap with stuck halyard mid way. West marine recalled their bosun chairs but discovered they actually sold the ATN Topclimber - and since it was race day - purchased it.

While I only went halfway up, I did find with a little bit of practice it worked fairly efficiently. It does though put the load of climbing up on the climber (then again I am scared of heights and was kinda shocked how fast I went up before I looked down), and I would still recommend having someone else manning a halyard attached to the unit for safety. But, it is nice to know it is a unit that works as advertised and in a pinch if I had to - I have the ability to get myself up the mast. It is also fairly comfortable.

For those that do rock climbing - in principle it works very much like some of the systems you may use. At any rate I would recommend the product albeit its a pricey solution.

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 09-03-2008

dongreerps is on a distinguished road
Garmin Product Support

Our Garmin GPS unit is superb. Last week we attempted to update the map data base. Did not work. Yesterday called suport at 12:04. The recording suggested a wait time of 30 to 35 minutes. A real person finally answered at 1:40.

The long wait was aggrevating. The misinformation about the wait time was aggrevating.

With wait times like this I wonder if Garmin is having more technical problems than they should.

The solution offered was they would send us a DVD instead of trying to update over the internet.
Old 09-03-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just make sure the shackle is in the correct orientation as described in the addendum to the manual... since the shackle pin can back out if it is in the wrong way...and that would be bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
I had had a halyard jammed up the mast due to a "racer's" excitement, and then that asym mishap with stuck halyard mid way. West marine recalled their bosun chairs but discovered they actually sold the ATN Topclimber - and since it was race day - purchased it.

While I only went halfway up, I did find with a little bit of practice it worked fairly efficiently. It does though put the load of climbing up on the climber (then again I am scared of heights and was kinda shocked how fast I went up before I looked down), and I would still recommend having someone else manning a halyard attached to the unit for safety. But, it is nice to know it is a unit that works as advertised and in a pinch if I had to - I have the ability to get myself up the mast. It is also fairly comfortable.

For those that do rock climbing - in principle it works very much like some of the systems you may use. At any rate I would recommend the product albeit its a pricey solution.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 09-03-2008

cruisingnet is on a distinguished road
Honda 1000 generator. Works great. Charges the batteries, runs the computer and the water maker
Old 09-03-2008
Roadkillibus Texanis

retclt will become famous soon enough retclt will become famous soon enough
Stick Up LED Lights

Great little product for dark tight places like lockers and drawers. I put one in every locker, drawer and berth. I have one stuck up inside the companionway entry pointing forward. Itís all the light I need unless reading or fixing something. Plenty to see by but doesnít mess with my night vision when I scamper back up to the cockpit. I have extras laying around the boat I can easily grab for a flashlight. Get the ones with the single LED not the triple. The single LED ones actually give better light and the batteries last longer.

[IMG][/IMG]

Bob T

"I cannot not sail" - E. B. White
Old 09-16-2008
Bobelon

bobelon is on a distinguished road
I prefer Tef-Gel to LanoCote
Old 10-11-2008

Joevacs is on a distinguished road
Latex Paint !

I painted my topside with Valspar Premium Acrilic paint from Lowes last year, and it is holding up wonderfully. I had read a bunch online about latex and was a little sceptical, but I had previously painted with very expensive boat paint and after 9 months it was looking bad, and it mildewed. This paint was a lot less expensive, easy cleanup and it looks great. And so far, so good with respect to durability
The arguement in favor of it, that pushed me over the edge was, A lot more research goes into house paint than boat paint, because the market for it is 10 times bigger. And people that paint their house, don't want to do it again for 10 or 20 years, and want to paint with no prep. So it stands to reason that the paint has got to be good.
Macgregor, Venture 17 ,#998
Hickory, NC
Proud to be American !
Old 10-12-2008

marineelectronicsreviews is on a distinguished road
Marine Electronics Reviews

I have a website with free unbiased reviews on chartplotters, VHF radios, image stabilized binoculars, and more gear in several other categories. The list of products tested is far too long to post here. I have a well established reputation as an electronics tester for several major boating and fishing publications including Powerboat Reports, Practical Sailor, and Florida Sportsman. Check them out. You can find my website address by clicking on my login name and visiting my homepage.

Al