Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009
Somewhat Senior Member

mgmhead is on a distinguished road
Froli System

Let me second the recommendation for the Froli system. Bought mine at the Annapolis Sailboat Show in 2007 and installed it immediately. Installation was very easy, no tools required. Quality of sleep is wonderful. As stated earlier, I think the cost was around $250 and that's not too much to spend for a comfortable bunk.

Catalina 387 #29
Rock Hall, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2009

anthon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windborn View Post
Last haulout my trusty sander died an ugly death. All I could find in a hurry was a Bosch variable speed, dual action sander / polisher. I originally balked at the cost, but as I was on deadline to get out of the yard I bought it. This is by far the best sander I've ever used. Highly recommended.
I have a number of Bosch power tools for many years and neither has had any problems. I can certainly vouch for them!

Last edited by anthon; 04-05-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-08-2009

HorizonMarine is on a distinguished road
We have a yacht repair company. here is what we like.

ANCOR WIRE STRIPPER, best tool in the bag. Strips 10 gauge wire and up to about gauge wire with speed and ease
KLEIN WIRE CRIMPERS, your butt connectors will be on tight, not like those cheapie pliers that come in the kits. The ratcheting pliers are nice but too hard to use in tight quarters, which is everywhere on a boat
SPRAY 9 CLEANER, Best all around cleaner ever. So strong that we cut it 50%. Cleans engines, decks, vinyl, clothes, bilges etc.
DAVIS FSR. Takes the brown hull stains off like magic. No rubbing! Works like the ads of 30 years ago where the housewife takes one swipe across the stove and it sparkles
FLUID FILM. Derusts and protects. Can be sprayed on electrics. engine mounts etc., Protects the engine area and other areas.
ANCOR ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS. Don't use the cheap brands, these are worth the extra money!
JABSCO IMPELLER PULLERS. Makes changing the salt water impeller job much easier
CORKSCREW PACKING REMOVER TOOL. Not sure of the brand, but they are usually stocked next to the shaft packing. Looks like a miniature wine corkscrew. gets that packing out quick!
COSTCO's SOLAR LED FLASHLIGHTS. Bought 2 more tonight, about $22 pair. They are bright, a single charge lasts 5-10 hours, recharge in sun or incandescent lighting, water proof to 80 feet. NO MORE AA BATTERIES!
LIFELINE BATTERIES. Expensive but if you can afford, they are worth it. A step above the others and usually more "horsepower" than brand X
SENSIBULB LED's. Cost a lot but you get what you pay for. Most LED's are spots or make the saloon look like a lab with the white lights. These work.
CETOL WOOD PROTECTION. Stop being a slave to varnish. This product is easy to apply, no sanding between coats, three coats is max and requires yearly recoating which takes little time. (clear looks beter than original IMHO)
SEARS 12V TEST LIGHT. Sturdy, long self coiling cord, bulletproof. We can't break the damn thing, no matter how much we abuse it.
SEARS 19.2V DRILL. They are powerful, last a long time (but they do not survive drops from 50 foot mast or drops into 16 feet of salt water, as we have found out) these drills are very reasonably priced ($110? maybe less on sale or in a package) BUT the sears jig saw and angle drill which are part of the same series are horrible. poor designs.
YANMAR ENGINES. In the <100hp world, nothing evens comes close to a Yanmar. Nothing!
PB BLASTER PENETRANT . At a few bucks a can, this may be the best value in the toolbox. This stuff actually works to free up bolts. Like Liquid Wrench on steroids. Auto parts stores carry it as does some of the big hardware stores.
KYOCERA 130 SOLAR PANELS. Do these things EVER break??? have never had one come back, started using them 12 years ago.
ACETONE. I love that stuff. can't find it in Puerto vallarta where we now are. breaks my heart. Did not realize how good it was until I could not get it. Clean and dewax hulls with it, thin gel coat, clean greasy areas. (I have to settle for brake cleaner down here to do the job.

Thats my list of good stuff. Have serviced boats for 17 years, and now cruise part time. gary
Old 04-09-2009
October Moon B43

MJBrown is on a distinguished road
Teak Guard! The best product I've ever used on teak. Easy to apply, easy to maintain, water based so it doesn't attract dirt and mold, wipes off the gel coat with a damp rag so no need to tape, keeps it's color all season long, doesn't leave a slippery surface and a bottle goes a long way. Just great stuff. I wont use anything else.
Old 04-19-2009
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
SURETTE (ROLLS) BATTERIES - 30H108M and T12136M

I bought two batteries last fall to replace the older ones that the boat came with. Had to get slightly different sizes in accordance with the boat's dimensions. Put them in quickly and didn't think about them.

Brought them home when the boat was hauled for the winter and put them in the garage. Noted at the time that one of the date stickers on one of the batteries seemd old. Was a bit concerned that this might have meant the battery had expired or was nearing the end of its life.

The charger that I was using seemed to bear out my suspicions. It sometimes indicated that the older battery was not holding its charge as well as the newer one.

Accordingly, when the boat show rolled around, I spoke to the Surette rep at their booth and voiced my concerns. He gave me his card and asked me to follow up with him by email after the boat show.

He was quite cordial and I didn't get the impression I was getting a brush-off.

Followed up with an email to the rep, who referred me to the quality control manager. I explained the situation to the QC person who explained to me that the batteries were stored dry, so the dating should not really be an issue. He sent me detailed information on how to test the batteries, and a results sheet to fill out.

I bought the voltmeter and hydrometer he suggested I should use and proceeded to check the batteries. As it turns out, it was my original meter that was faulty, the batteries are fine.

Had they not been, I have every confidence that they would have been replaced immediately no questions asked.

Kudos to Surette for providing patient and professional support ! It's a very rare commodity these days and they deserve to be mentioned for it.

I'll definitely stick with their products. I encourage eveyone else to buy their batteries as well. They may cost a little more up front but they're certainly worth it. The ones that I replaced were 9 years old and still totally serviceable. I gave them to someone else in the marina who installed them on his boat.

Last edited by Sailormann; 04-19-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-22-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Three must haves for the Sailor's toolkit are Boeshield T9, McLube SailKote and LanoCote.
LanoCote is a paste that is made from anhydrous lanolin and works well as a galvanic isolation compound between aluminum and stainless steel. It also works quite well as an anti-galling/anti-siezing compound for use on stainless steel to stainless steel contact. The one downside to the stuff is it looks like baby cack... When commissioning my boat in the spring, I use LanoCote on all the screw-pin shackles on the boat, as well as most of the bimini/dodger fittings so I can be sure to take them apart at the end of the season. .
Lanocote is good stuff, but use it sparingly. If the weather is cool when you apply it, excess can run off when it gets warm and create a hell of a mess! My buddy found out the hard way!

Last edited by L124C; 04-22-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-22-2009

L124C is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
A bit expensive, but after using them heeling at 30+ they are a real value.
Wow! Your heeling at 30 degrees and eating (off plates no less)! Leave the galley, go up and release the traveller...It got windy!
Old 04-22-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthon View Post
I have a number of Bosch power tools for many years and neither has had any problems. I can certainly vouch for them!
I've had very good luck with Bosch tools....however their free "throw-in" drill bits kit is ****.
Old 04-22-2009

kaluvic is on a distinguished road
I cant believe that the word (another way of saying defecate) was censored out....that’s a little over the top isn’t it?
Old 08-09-2009
SaltwaterSuzi/CapnLarry

LarryandSusanMacDonald will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Cap't John's Boat Brite Algae & Waterline Stain Remover

I work in a marina, and when we haul boats, after pressure washing there is always the 'scum line' along the waterline as well as rust stains from drain holes and the infamous Pamlico Smile (some call it the Chesapeake Smile). Up until recently we used Y-10 or On and Off. Both are very caustic, we would suit up and wear gloves and go around painting the stuff on, wait for the scum to disappear and then hose it off. Sometimes we would have to repeat the application. It could take up to an hour on a really stained boat (that includes suiting up, trip to the stock room, getting hose out, etc. etc.).

About a year ago we started using Cap't John's Boat Brite Algae & Waterline Stain Remover. What a difference! Walk around the boat and spray - wait about 5 seconds and hose it off. (Always keeping upwind of the spray so it doesn't blow back in your eyes.) 40 foot boat in about 10 minutes!

The label claims it meets EPA National Clean Marina Guidelines. It says non-toxic and no harsh chemicals. I don't know what's in it but whatever it is, it works well.

"A sailboat is a fickle mistress. You’ve got to buy her things. You’ve got to understand everything about her. What you don’t know she’ll use against you." -Captain Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.