SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Ok, they're clean now so what do I waterproof them with?

3K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  fcsob 
#1 ·
When I bought "Oh Joy", she came with a full set of covers and boom tents. They were horribly stained and mildewed. Having just bought a new LG washer and dryer, I washed them. The difference is startling. They look brand new, no mold, mildew, rust or oil stains. However, what do I spray them with to help them regain their water resistance?

#2 ·
I use multiple applications of Scotch Guard which you can buy at any Home Depot.

Scott
Catalina 30 - Namaste

#4 ·
IIRC the manufacturer recommends 303 Fabric Guard (also a 3m product, if I'm not mistaken)

Washing sunbrella in strong detergent breaks it down so regular trips through the washing machine are not recommended unless you are using Woolite as opposed to a true detergent.

Water will eventually wick through if the detergent-washed fabric is not treated afterwards.

#7 ·
There are some treatments that are actually wash-in treatments. Just add it to the wash. You can by them at REI, although I am not sure how much better they are than spraying scotch guard or similar.

#8 ·
The wash in type is typically for breathable type fabrics like gor-tex or equal. Spray ons work well too. probably better for heavier fabrics like sail covers etc.

Personally, I would try to web browse sunbrella's sight and see if they recommend a particular product, if any at all. or tents, I have found the spray on silicone based products work best, or coats that are not breathable style fabrics. or my carhart work coat and vest.

I gave up on scotch guard yrs even a decade or two ago. never found it to work waterproofing wise, but did keep stains off! That is my experienc with it.

Marty

#9 ·
The newer formulations of ScotchGuard aren't as effective due to changes in their formulation. IIRC, they changed the formulation due to EPA restrictions on some of the old ingredients.

#12 · (Edited)
303 High Tech Fabric Guard...

303 High tech Fabric Guard is the ONLY approved waterproofing treatment for Sunbrella! Do not confuse it with 303 Aerospace Protectant they are two entirely different products for different purposes.

This product is NOT recommended because Glen Raven Mills, the parent company to Sunbrella, owns 303 and they make money from it. It's recommended because after vast amounts of testing, this directly from our rep at Glen Raven (I'm a silent partner in a Marine Canvas Business), it's clear, by quite a long shot, that 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is the best product for the fibers, waterproofing, dirt, pollution and stain resistance.

As an aside, I spilled some 303 High tech Fabric Guard on my Mahogany deck last year. To my surprise, and to this day, that spill spot NEVER gets wet and is still beading water a full year later! It would be an expensive deck treatment but holy crap that stuff lasts!!!

One last note DO NOT wash Sunbrella in a washing machine! Yes it came out clean and I know it's tempting, but detergent WILL and CAN destroy the Sunbrella fibers and the tossing and turning action of a front loader actually has the fibers sawing against each other thus shortening it's life span. We clean Sunbrella in a large soaking tub with Dreft or Ivory Snow non detergent soaps. After a day or two in the tub the dirt and pollutants are all sitting on the bottom of the tub and the product is clean. Washing Sunbrella in a machine will shorten it's life so try and not do it more than ABSOLUTELY necessary...

303 High Tech Fabric Guard:
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=429

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.