Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > On Board > Gear & Maintenance
 Not a Member? 
Old 11-23-2007

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue View Post
If the battery banks are both fully charged, hold at least a 12 volt charge, and none of your 12 devices are working while underway, there's obviously a short or poor wire contact somewhere in the electrical system.

You'll need to test the circuits for continuity, starting from the batttery terminal posts to each device to find the fault.
TB,
Nothing comes on even when the engine is running, which leads me to believe that it isn't necessarily the batteries. I'll need to get the batts tested. I need to do a lot of stuff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SH—

Is it time to start running around and panicking yet???

When you were futzing with the batteries, any chance you might have blown a fuse, tripped a breaker or knocked a fuse loose??? If you have a volt-ohmmeter, you probably should check continuity on all the circuits, and also see what kind of voltages you're getting off of each battery as well as off the alternator.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 11-23-2007
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
I'm guessing a bad ground connection somewhere is why the 12v system is down. The engine is running power to the batteries, so even if it's running and you aren't completing the circuit the electronics will still be down. Could also be a bad combiner switch. Did you try it on 1 or 2, or just on both?

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 11-23-2007

HoffaLives is on a distinguished road
Batteries don't just go like that; blind lead there I'm afraid. You have an open in the circuit somewhere, either via fuse or open connection (very common). You have starter voltage because the battery is a direct simple unfused connection to the starter, while the house circuit is more complicated. You will need a voltmeter or testing light and starting with the 1/2/off switch start following voltages till you come up empty.
I'm assuming at this point that there is no power at all to your fuse panel if nothing is working, so the problem lies between batteries, switch and fuse panel. And since you claim that input power to the batteries from the alternator is working, so it seems like there is an open between the switch and the fuse panel.

All this also assumes you don't have a weird wiring arrangement.
364 feet

our life afloat:
Old 11-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hoffa has it I think. There's a main cable issue somewhere. I'm betting it is the positive to your battery switch from the battery. With both house and starter batts fully charged...do you get any 12V operation from either of them? If not...it is probably the cable from the Perko switch to your fuse panel or the switch itself.
Old 11-23-2007
Back to just the Jon boat

therapy23 is on a distinguished road
Also, no one has mentioned to you that you should not charge both batteries at the same time since one is so much older than the other. One will over charge and the other will undercharge.
Old 11-23-2007

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Assuming the prior posts have not solved your problem, it sounds like an easily overlooked issue - that being the batteries were never recharged fully as you presume. You didn't say how long you ran with the emgine alternator recharging the batteries but if it was only a short time, the bank wasn't recharges sufficiently to maintain the draw being applied.
Old 11-23-2007

Rockter will become famous soon enough
Buy a wee multimeter... they are like £20... and check the battery voltage at the batteries both with engine stopped, and with engine running. Running it shout be about 14.2V, and with engine off it will drop to probably 13 V.

Absolutely dead ancilliaries with decent charging is a supply problem to them. Something has blown or tripped.

Does the motor still start from your batteries? If so, it is definitely a supply problem.

Multimeter out. It is not difficult to fix.
Old 11-23-2007

scosch is on a distinguished road
A very possible place for a problem could be the negative connection if nothing is working. Check and clean at the engine and the neg bus if both batteries are connected to one. Or if you have a monitor shunt, look there too for a common ground issue.
Old 11-24-2007

BarryL is on a distinguished road
12V Troubleshooting

Hello,

As previously mentioned, you need to get a multimeter and start troubleshooting. If you don't know how to use a meter, either get a friend to show you how, or read a book about it. It is not very difficult.

If I had your problems, I would first measure the voltage at the batteries. Then I would open the fuse panel and measure the voltage where is comes into the panel. Then I would measure the voltage at each location you need. If your accessories (GPS, etc.) are all on the same fuse, you may just have a blown fuse. More than likely you have a bad alternator, ground, or broken main lead.

Good luck.
Barry

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.